Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: After Brew day  (Read 799 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
After Brew day
« on: June 17, 2022, 10:29:35 am »
Thought I would change things up a bit and see what you guys do after brew day.  Actually, I guess I mean after keg or bottle day.  It just so worked out that my keg went dry as I was bottling my latest attempt.  So, it made me think about my process after I am finished with my buckets and all.  What I have done in the past, after brew day I clean all my stuff.  Pot gets a soak in soap and water, spoon goes into the dishwasher and hop bag gets a soak and rinse with the pot.  After the buckets and keg are done, I usually give them a 20 min clean with the CraftMeister cleaner in my homemade bucket and keg washer.   I also drop all the hoses, keg parts and misc stuff in as well.  I take all that out and give it a rinse with warm water to get the cleaner off.  Then, everything gets stored in my hallway closet for the next round.  When I am ready for the equipment, I simply rinse everything with warm water, then do starsan and off I go.  My question is, do you guys hit it with the Starsan before you store, or wait until the next use after use.  I figure it is best to clean it right away, but the sterilization is best done when ready to use.  Thoughts. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: After Brew day
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 10:55:47 am »

My question is, do you guys hit it with the Starsan before you store, or wait until the next use after use.
Unnecessary, I'm sure, but since it only takes me a few minutes, I usually do both.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 11:12:12 am »
Thought I would change things up a bit and see what you guys do after brew day.  Actually, I guess I mean after keg or bottle day.  It just so worked out that my keg went dry as I was bottling my latest attempt.  So, it made me think about my process after I am finished with my buckets and all.  What I have done in the past, after brew day I clean all my stuff.  Pot gets a soak in soap and water, spoon goes into the dishwasher and hop bag gets a soak and rinse with the pot.  After the buckets and keg are done, I usually give them a 20 min clean with the CraftMeister cleaner in my homemade bucket and keg washer.   I also drop all the hoses, keg parts and misc stuff in as well.  I take all that out and give it a rinse with warm water to get the cleaner off.  Then, everything gets stored in my hallway closet for the next round.  When I am ready for the equipment, I simply rinse everything with warm water, then do starsan and off I go.  My question is, do you guys hit it with the Starsan before you store, or wait until the next use after use.  I figure it is best to clean it right away, but the sterilization is best done when ready to use.  Thoughts.

I agree. Clean immediately.  Sanitize (homebrewers sanitize, not sterilize) immediately before next use. Of course, thay doesn't apply to things on the hot side.  Just clean them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Barbarian Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 02:19:51 pm »
I clean everything at the end of the brew day (or the next day) and sanitize right before the next brew day.  Unless, as Denny suggests, if you're going to be running near boiling liquid through it, you don't need to sanitize it. 
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot." -Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 02:41:23 pm »
Ditto. Clean after use. Sanitize before use.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 03:08:58 pm »
anything process-wise up to the mashtun, i just clean up to remove solids and dont sanitize. after mash-tun i try to make sure its pretty spotless, just so rust doesn't develop or anything, but i tend to just make sure its gunk-free and dry and leave sanitizing to next brew day. anything coming in contact with wort/beer post-boil i sanitize before putting away  though, ie. airlocks, tubing, carboys, etc.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 04:33:36 pm »
After brew day… drink the last beer you made.