Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US 04 vs US05  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
US 04 vs US05
« on: August 14, 2021, 03:22:16 pm »
I used US 04 instead of US 05 for a porter recipe and got what seemed like 50% more traub in the bottom of the fermenter and less beer to bottle.  I've heard US 04 finishes more quickly than 05 does, but I gave it 10 days for fermentation and finishing before cold crashing prior to bottling.

I'm assuming, however, that there won't be much difference in the time required for bottle carbonation.  Is that correct?  Thanks in advance for your comments.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: US 04 vs US05
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 03:25:30 pm »
S-04 is a good yeast.  You'll probably be happy with it.  I want to use it more in future, as a substitute for US-05.  In some ways I think it is better -- faster, more clean, slightly less attenuative.  All these attributes make me pretty happy about it.  You won't notice any difference in time to carbonate.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 03:47:37 pm »
Thanks Dave.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 04:19:37 pm »
You should be just fine as far as bottling goes.

I’m not as big of a fan of S-04 as Dave, but for a Porter, I think you chose…wisely.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 04:33:51 pm »

I’m not as big of a fan of S-04 as Dave, but for a Porter, I think you chose…wisely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 07:46:45 pm »
I doubt that amount of trub can be blamed on the yeast. Probably more proteins and hop debris transferred from the kettle and, to a much lesser degree, less yeast remaining in suspension due to the higher flocculation.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 08:37:17 pm »
Hard to say from behind a keyboard but S-04 may be more flocculative than US-05, which may be what you are seeing. I've never been a huge fan of that yeast but agree it should be good in a poprter.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 07:38:50 am »

I'm a big fan of S-04 when I do a replica of an 1800s porter.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 12:44:34 pm »

I'm not sure what malt bill would be authentic for an 1800s porter, but I'm calling my latest a "Patriot's Porter" to remember 9/11 with.  It does contain 10% brown malt which all the early porters mostly consisted of. And to my knowledge, our Colonial brewers were not drinking "yellow" beer.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 06:52:55 pm »

I'm not sure what malt bill would be authentic for an 1800s porter, but I'm calling my latest a "Patriot's Porter" to remember 9/11 with.  It does contain 10% brown malt which all the early porters mostly consisted of.
I use maris otter, brown malt and some black patent; not sure off the top of my head at what percentages.
I really want to give it a go with chevalier heritage malt sometime.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 08:39:34 am »

I'm not sure what malt bill would be authentic for an 1800s porter, but I'm calling my latest a "Patriot's Porter" to remember 9/11 with.  It does contain 10% brown malt which all the early porters mostly consisted of.
I use maris otter, brown malt and some black patent; not sure off the top of my head at what percentages.
Ron Pattinson recently posted recipes for a late 1800s porter and a brown stout that got me considering brewing one of them for the winter. The grain bills look far different from the porters and stouts I typically brew, so that got me interested in stepping out of my comfort zone a bit.

Here's the porter recipe:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2021/08/lets-brew-1886-barclay-perkins-hhd.html

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 08:59:27 am »

Ron Pattinson recently posted recipes for a late 1800s porter and a brown stout that got me considering brewing one of them for the winter. The grain bills look far different from the porters and stouts I typically brew, so that got me interested in stepping out of my comfort zone a bit.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2021/08/lets-brew-1886-barclay-perkins-hhd.html

Nice. 

This English Porter recipe from Crisp mentions converting to an 1800’s version by switching from Pale Ale to Chevallier Heritage malt. https://crispmalt.com/recipes/london-porter/

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 11:50:18 am »

Never used amber malt before. I'm basically satisfied with my recipe, but like to tinker around the edges of the malt bill hoping to better it.  Thannks

Offline BrewBama

US 04 vs US05
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 12:08:55 pm »

Nice. 

... https://crispmalt.com/recipes/london-porter/

Those are interesting recipes.

I recently bought the book Homebrew Beer by Greg Hughes. Many of the Brit homebrewers call this the ‘Bible’.

I have a 1.049 OG Brown Porter recipe based on that book planned as my next brew:

83% Pale Malt
6% Brown Malt
7% Dark Crystal Malt (I am using C75)
4% Chocolate Malt (500 SRM)

All First Gold hops. I am having trouble finding fresh First Gold so I am going with 2020 season of EKG.

27.6 IBU at start of boil
2.7 IBU at 10 min

The recipe calls for 1028 but I will most likely use S-04.

For water chemistry I am planning a ‘Hoppy-lite 
Profile’:

Batch Vol: 6.50 gal
Calcium: 109.0 ppm - Magnesium: 0.0 ppm
Sodium: 0.0 ppm - Sulfate: 156.6 ppm
Chloride: 77.3 ppm - Bicarbonate: 0.0 ppm
Residual Alkalinity: -77.9 ppm
Sulfite/Chloride Ratio: 2.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 12:15:58 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 12:26:49 pm »

Nice. 

... https://crispmalt.com/recipes/london-porter/

Those are interesting recipes.

I recently bought the book Homebrew Beer by Greg Hughes. Many of the Brit homebrewers call this the ‘Bible’.

I have a 1.049 OG Brown Porter recipe based on that book planned as my next brew:

83% Pale Malt
6% Brown Malt
7% Dark Crystal Malt (I am using C75)
4% Chocolate Malt (500 SRM)

All First Gold hops. I am having trouble finding fresh First Gold so I am going with 2020 season of EKG.

27.6 IBU at start of boil
2.7 IBU at 10 min

The recipe calls for 1028 but I will most likely use S-04.

For water chemistry I am planning a ‘Hoppy-lite 
Profile’:

Batch Vol: 6.50 gal
Calcium: 109.0 ppm - Magnesium: 0.0 ppm
Sodium: 0.0 ppm - Sulfate: 156.6 ppm
Chloride: 77.3 ppm - Bicarbonate: 0.0 ppm
Residual Alkalinity: -77.9 ppm
Sulfite/Chloride Ratio: 2.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That looks good. My English porters are very similar.

I just bought some Crisp Floor Malted Maris Otter. It’s an heirloom variety, so I guess I can call my next Porter 1800’s.