Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making yeast starter "wort" in bulk  (Read 2424 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Making yeast starter "wort" in bulk
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2021, 01:54:34 pm »
It is also the reason why Clostridium botulinum and other pathogens do not grow in finished beer.

Hmm... I usually adjust my mash water to around 5.1 (or whatever my $50 meter thinks is 5.1). I've not measured the pH of my harvested slurry so not sure it's really at 4.6. Should this be something I need to be concerned with when refrigerating yeast for re-pitch?

No.  Only for canned starter wort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Making yeast starter "wort" in bulk
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2021, 05:45:32 pm »
Use a pressure canner, 250 degrees for 15 minutes, 15 psi, nothing survives that. 

Or adjust the wort to have a pH below 4.6 because growth of Clostridium botulinum and the production of its toxin is inhibited below a pH of 4.6.
I would choose the pressure canner as the most conservative method.  I'd hate to find out the hard way that my pH meter was reading high.