Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard seltzer makers  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hard seltzer makers
« on: August 15, 2021, 04:53:21 pm »
Anyone got a by tips on how much ascorbic acid to add to a 5 gallon batch. Just kegged my first batch and it’s very meh. Heard that can help give it some zing.

What about adding some lactic acid or gypsum?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Hard seltzer makers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 08:59:07 am »
Definitely do experiment with acid additions.  Don't limit yourself to lactic or ascorbic.  Any of the acids listed in Bru'n Water could be candidates for 'brightening' the perception of seltzer.  I suggest performing drop by drop evaluations of an acid addition in a glass of the seltzer to assess the effects and the dosing that make the beverage better.  Don't be afraid to try combinations, but recognize that the optimum dosing of a single acid will probably need to be dialed back when used in combo with other acids.

Don't bother with gypsum in a quest to acidify.  That reaction requires malt phytins to work and a seltzer probably wouldn't have that. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 01:51:06 pm »
Thanks Martin!

I did add about 2.1 ml of lactic pre fermentation. I will perform some evaluations...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 05:22:26 pm »
I haven't brewed a fermented hard seltzer, but for soda I prefer citric acid for most fruit-flavored drinks (berry, citrus, stonefruit, melon, etc) and phosphoric for things that are more sweet/bittersweet (coconut, vanilla, coffee, etc.). I don't think I'd ever bother to brew a hard seltzer, but I'd certainly follow this rule of thumb as a starting point if I made one by force carbonating with water and clear spirits.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:32:23 pm »
I haven't brewed a fermented hard seltzer, but for soda I prefer citric acid for most fruit-flavored drinks (berry, citrus, stonefruit, melon, etc) and phosphoric for things that are more sweet/bittersweet (coconut, vanilla, coffee, etc.). I don't think I'd ever bother to brew a hard seltzer, but I'd certainly follow this rule of thumb as a starting point if I made one by force carbonating with water and clear spirits.
Any advice on amount for 5 gallon batch?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 06:35:36 am »
Any advice on amount for 5 gallon batch?
I use 2 to 3 grams of citric acid per liter of soda, but that's sweetened. I'd probably start with far less in a seltzer and adjust to taste.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 10:03:40 am »
Depending on what flavor your making just adding fresh lime or lemon juice is an easy option.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.