Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Altering water before or after mashing  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Anders Kallerdahl

• 1st Kit
Altering water before or after mashing
« on: August 30, 2021, 01:04:38 pm »
Hi,

I am adding some minerals to get a specific water profile for the beer that i make. In all guidelines i have read, they add the minerals before the mashing.
But to my knowledge the only important factor during mashing is the PH value. Adding the minerals before mashing, they might be just filtered out during the mash process. Therefore i always add them during boil.

what is the correct way. add minerals to water before mashing or during boil? If before mashing, what purpose do the minerals have?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Altering water before or after mashing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 01:10:36 pm »
I agree that the most important thing in the mash is pH to allow efficient conversion. I only add 50 ppm CaCl to the mash for the grains that require mashing primarily for pH and for the cofactors it provides enzymes that convert starch to sugar.

I add any grains that don’t require mashing after the mash is complete and I add any style or flavor minerals (such as gypsum to enhance dryness or more CaCl to enhance fullness) to the boil.

what is the correct way.

There isn’t one. It’s homebrewing. If it turns out the way you intended and it wasn’t a PITA you did it correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 01:19:55 pm by BrewBama »

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Altering water before or after mashing
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 01:41:53 pm »
One reason to add at least a little calcium to the mash, regardless of pH considerations, is to precipitate oxalate, which on the cold side leads to beerstone, which is bad.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 06:22:34 am »
In our experience, with our local water supply, we never modify the water. Nothing is added. We do filter the tap water with an RO unit, or a countertop filter.

Maybe we are lucky and our water just happens to be perfect for brewing.

For a pale Czech style beer, we use 80% RO water, and 20% filtered tap water.

For a German lager (think Frankfurt - Bitburger) we use 100% filtered tap. Nothing added.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 06:37:11 am »
When I build my water from scratch I always build it prior to the mash from RO or distilled. I only make mineral adjustments in the kettle under certain circumstances.

One thing to consider is that mimicking specific water profiles from specific regions is kinda silly and pointless (or, in my opinion it is). You have no idea how exactly that brewer in that region manipulated their water. Build water based on how you want the beer to taste and keep it as simple as possible.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 08:40:10 am »
In our experience, with our local water supply, we never modify the water. Nothing is added. We do filter the tap water with an RO unit, or a countertop filter.

Maybe we are lucky and our water just happens to be perfect for brewing.

For a pale Czech style beer, we use 80% RO water, and 20% filtered tap water.

For a German lager (think Frankfurt - Bitburger) we use 100% filtered tap. Nothing added.

Yes, you are lucky.  You have good water for the styles you brew.  No single water profile works for every style, though.  Historically , brewers made what turned out well with their water.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 03:02:31 pm »
I only do BIAB so I'm only interested in the water for the mash.  I've had my water tested, treat it per the Bru'n water spreadsheet and have never had a problem brewing decent beer. 
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!