General Category > Ingredients

Paying for hops is worth it !!!

(1/4) > >>

beerocd:
I just spent 2.5 to 3 hours picking one set of hops.  :(
Five more varieties to go - I'm starting to think the prices out there aren't that bad.

I guess if the others harvest about the same, I will get about a 5 gallon bucket full of hops in total.
No clue what the weight of that comes out to.

Am I slow, too thorough, or is that about right?

rabid_dingo:
Sounds about right. At least for me. And I only have 3 vines. Skiping it this year. They got cut in half by hail.

tubercle:
Remember the prices a few years ago?

If they were still that high, and may be again, a little labor would be worth it. If its not worth picking them now at least keep them alive for the tough times.

I got this idea from The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith

chezteth:
I guess it really depends on how much time you want to put toward your brewing hobby.  For me I don't mind picking the hops even though it is a fair amount of work.  Fortunately, my wife and kids help out which makes it go a bit quicker.  We just harvested a paper grocery bag, stuffed, full of Nugget hops.  Hopefully, I should get about a pound, or so, dried.  I still have 6 cascade plants to harvest yet.  That is the one I am fretting the most.  One idea for hop picking day would be to invite a few friends over then provide them with some beer in exchange for their help.

denny:
I had a similar thought as I was on the 5th day of harvest of my hops.  I used to really obsess about them.  These days, whatever I get from them is good enough for me, and I'll just buy the rest!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version