Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What have we got here  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Fnbrewer

• 1st Kit
What have we got here
« on: August 24, 2021, 10:11:03 pm »
First time on the board. Tried to think of a way to work up to my question. I may not even be in the right place. If that's the case just tell me to GTFO. Here goes...

My daughter moved out of a rental house this week and told me to 'get anything I wanted out of the garage. It was all there when they moved in. I found 3 buckets . Two say 45 lbs pearled barley and the other says lentils. Company is Montana's Best.

Do I have the mother of all grains sacred to man or do I have pig feed. Or neither. Thank you for wasting your time . Good day

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: What have we got here
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 05:03:48 am »
Since neither are malted they won't be able to be used exclusively to make beer, though you could use them as adjuncts if you boiled them to soften them first. I'd be concerned about their freshness.

For the most part you don't have anything to get excited about, unless you are a big fan of soup.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 07:42:35 am »
First time on the board. Tried to think of a way to work up to my question. I may not even be in the right place. If that's the case just tell me to GTFO. Here goes...

My daughter moved out of a rental house this week and told me to 'get anything I wanted out of the garage. It was all there when they moved in. I found 3 buckets . Two say 45 lbs pearled barley and the other says lentils. Company is Montana's Best.

Do I have the mother of all grains sacred to man or do I have pig feed. Or neither. Thank you for wasting your time . Good day
Apparently, you can make soup.

http://www.montanamilling.com/index.php?page=pearled-barley

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 07:44:21 am »
I do love me some soup.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 09:36:49 am »
I do love me some soup.  :D
Especially in the upcoming Fall wx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 10:16:13 am »
Sounds like a prepper used to live in the house.  45lbs of pearled barley is a lot of soup.  I generally only use 2 to 4 ounces in 2 gallons of soup.  Good thing it lasts a long time. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 10:34:17 am »
I dunno' folks, a cold refreshing lentil-based brew could be just the thing for the end of the summer.

Possible Names:

Legume Up On The Neighbors Ale
Bean a Great Summer Kolsch
Soup'er Man IPA

Might turn out better than my Lucky Charms stout, Lucky's Sugar Rush.

I'll show myself out...

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 06:53:05 am »
Lentils and beans were used in beer to stretch grain resources before food purity laws mostly banned them. They are a starch source so they will convert in a mash but then you have lentil flavor in your beer. I wouldn't but that doesn't mean you couldn't.

In addition to soup lentils are widely used in Indian food to make various dishes and bases for dishes. That's a lot of lentils but as long as they stay dry they should last for a long time.

I'd have no problem using the pearled barley in beer but they also have a wider use than soup. Barley makes a great substitute for rice in dishes. Pearled barley makes a great risotto and it is more forgiving than rice to get a good texture because it doesn't turn to mush like rice if you cook it too long.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 07:58:30 am »
The pearled barley kind of sounds like it's polished the same way rice is polished for sake, unless I'm missing something.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 02:12:52 pm »
Barley beef soup with carrots, onions, and celery in a rich broth paired with a good porter or stout--now you have something!!!
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 02:57:12 pm »
when you read the ingredients for various chinese distilled liquors they often include peas and sometimes beans.