Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time making a starter -- how vigorous should the starter be?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline amanosz

• 1st Kit
First time making a starter, and working with a 2 month old package of WY2308 lager yeast. I boiled 1.5L of starter wort with Pilsner DME and pitched the yeast spread out across 3 mason jars with loose lids and 0.5L each.  After 24-36 hours at about 66 degrees and 2-3 agitations/day, I believe that the yeast are active (CO2 definitely comes out of solution when agitated), but there is no krausen formed.  IS this slow activity expected, or should I shop for a new batch of liquid yeast?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: First time making a starter -- how vigorous should the starter be?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 01:19:45 pm »
It's not odd to have little or no Krausen on a starter. If the yeast count is multiplying at a reasonable rate, the best indication of activity is when the starter becomes milky looking. You'd get much better results with a stir plate, or even agitating more often, so be sure to use a pitching rate calculator and enter the method you're using if you want to see reasonable predictions.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 01:40:59 pm »
I used to use a stir plate for many years.  Then the Shaken Not Stirred method appeared on this forum.  I haven't used stir plate for the last 6 years.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 02:25:51 pm »
+1 on the Shaken, not Stirred approach.  It's hard to believe its been around as long as it has.  I made a stir plate over 10 years ago and haven't moved it from storage cabinet in a similar 6 year period...time flies.

To the OP - the Shaken, not Stirred approach is simply using a larger vessel (gallon jug for 1 liter starter, for example) and pitching the starter yeast into a well shaken, foamy wort   - then pitching the starter at high krausen into the full batch of chilled and aerated wort.

Good luck with your brewing!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 02:28:16 pm by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 04:37:13 pm »
I remember before my stir plate days, and before anyone ever mentioned SNS, I would just shake/swirl my starter every time I walked past it. I didn't realize science was abound!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 05:11:38 pm »
It's not odd to have little or no Krausen on a starter. If the yeast count is multiplying at a reasonable rate, the best indication of activity is when the starter becomes milky looking. You'd get much better results with a stir plate, or even agitating more often, so be sure to use a pitching rate calculator and enter the method you're using if you want to see reasonable predictions.

I agree with Bob.  I often have very little krausen in my starters and I don't believe I've ever had one fail me.  As long as they get cloudy and bubble, they seem to work very well.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 08:24:09 pm »
I used to use a stir plate for many years.  Then the Shaken Not Stirred method appeared on this forum.  I haven't used stir plate for the last 6 years.

If the OP was splitting a 1.5 liter starter between 3 mason jars, I doubt he/she had a vessel big enough for an SNS.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline amanosz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 11:55:02 am »
Thanks everyone.  The starters are definitely very cloudy and smell like very yeasty beer.  After 72 hours (probably a little overkill but the temps were a bit lower than expected), I put the starter in the fridge to flocculate out.  Next step is a step up!  Thanks again!

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 08:19:54 am »
As a bit of a gear nerd this makes me both happy and frustrated at the same time.

Option 1) you want to maximize agitation in your starter to help it to fully develop before pitching. Therefore, set your stir plate to the following parameters....

OR

Option 2) Pick up that jar and shake that s#*t whenever you think about it.

Occam's Razor at it's finest.