Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Totally bogus Irish Red Ale  (Read 1840 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Totally bogus Irish Red Ale
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 02:28:22 pm »
Another great article from Martyn.  I've become rather obsessed with that web site.

So Lett's Strong Ale, which hadn't been brewed for 20+ years, was the basis for Pelforth's 1974 George Killian's Bière Rousse’ which then became bastardized and dropped on unsuspecting beer drinkers as Coors' George Killian's Irish Red Ale, before becoming a lager.   ???

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 02:57:36 pm »
Another great article from Martyn.  I've become rather obsessed with that web site.

So Lett's Strong Ale, which hadn't been brewed for 20+ years, was the basis for Pelforth's 1974 George Killian's Bière Rousse’ which then became bastardized and dropped on unsuspecting beer drinkers as Coors' George Killian's Irish Red Ale, before becoming a lager.   ???
I happen to know some people who think this is the best beer around too.  My BIL will get a keg of it if he's having people over.  I thought the story was interesting and also not that surprising.  Beer is partially about marketing (think Corona!) and if someone, somewhere could invent a story that goes with the beer then you're going to sell more beer.  I sent my BIL the link to the story too.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 04:33:16 pm »
Ain't advertising and marketing wonderful!!

Unfortunately a lot of us really old guys that lived in the boondocks suffered through decades of drinking yellow mass marketed lagers before the craft beer revolution finally reached the hinterlands and provided light and a decent draft at the end of the tunnel.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 05:48:23 pm »

I happen to know some people who think this is the best beer around too.  My BIL will get a keg of it if he's having people over.  I thought the story was interesting and also not that surprising.  Beer is partially about marketing (think Corona!) and if someone, somewhere could invent a story that goes with the beer then you're going to sell more beer.  I sent my BIL the link to the story too.  :D
That beer is terrible.  Ok, that’s only my opinion and although I’m certainly entitled to it, I understand some people probably love GK’s Irish Red, just like there are surely things that I love that others would find repulsive.  To each their own, respect all of our differences.

But that beer is terrible.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 05:17:35 am »
The style is not my favorite, but I prefer it to many newer styles such as NEIPA or pastry stout.  The backstory is interesting and exposes what most of us dislike about the brewing industry - the marketing. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 08:01:31 am »
In the article it mentioned that small amounts of very dark malt (for me that would be carafa or MW) sends the beer towards red and I have always believed that as well.  Some dark crystal for color (or Special B which has some red in it) and then dark malt to push it towards red.  If you envision a beer made with maris otter, some dark english crystal that was 150°L or something and then maybe 2-3 ounces of MW or Carafa plus East Kents and White Labs 1084 Irish ale yeast... I feel like you would have a delicious beer on your hands.   Let's not let the fluffy "fake story" detract from the fact that a very nice beer could be brewed and enjoyed here. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:11:29 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 07:56:54 pm »
I make an amber ale that uses a bit under 2oz cara aroma and an ounce of black at mashout, and that’s all it takes to give a deep amber/light reddish brown colour.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 09:25:55 pm »
irish beer is an interesting thing. i think you guys likely get the picture, that ireland brewed basically stout/porter of the 1800s variety and pale ales comparable to england, no unmalted roasted barley in guinness until the late 20th century (pattinson). i have an interest in some of the strong ales like "drogheda strong ale"

a MBAA podcast on guinness yeast indicates that guinness had spent considerable effort to analyze and maintain their yeast since the early 20th century. as well, wlp004/wy1084 is not simply a british yeast taken and used in dublin, but contains significant non-british genetic material, as well as what is described as "american".

the reality though is that earlier in history whiskey was the drink of choice in ireland apparently, all the porter and ale in general being a pretty modern thing.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 05:37:15 am »
In the article it mentioned that small amounts of very dark malt (for me that would be carafa or MW) sends the beer towards red and I have always believed that as well.  Some dark crystal for color (or Special B which has some red in it) and then dark malt to push it towards red.  If you envision a beer made with maris otter, some dark english crystal that was 150°L or something and then maybe 2-3 ounces of MW or Carafa plus East Kents and White Labs 1084 Irish ale yeast... I feel like you would have a delicious beer on your hands.   Let's not let the fluffy "fake story" detract from the fact that a very nice beer could be brewed and enjoyed here.

I agree.  I’m not trying to take apart the style just the fact that GK’s Irish Red would not be what I would consider a “shining example”.  I enjoy any well made beer, regardless of style. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 08:21:33 am »
I agree.  I’m not trying to take apart the style just the fact that GK’s Irish Red would not be what I would consider a “shining example”.  I enjoy any well made beer, regardless of style.
There you go.  Good beer is good beer. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 08:29:47 am »

IMHO, I would not put Special B in an Irish Red Ale.  That said, when I make mine, I put about 2 oz. of roasted barley in it for color adjustment in an 11 gallon batch.  It adds a small amount of dryness to the beer without adding any noticeable roastiness.  Lately, I have been a rebel using an idea I learned from a good friend who is a brewer at the Hell N' Blazes Brewery in Melbourne, FL .  He originally used 60, 80 and 120 crystal malts in his Red when he brewed it at another brewery some years back. I thought the beer was delicious when I had it, nice and caramelly.  Don't remember if he is doing this at his current gig because I don't recall having the beer whenever I have been there and don't know if he was able to take the recipe with him when he left the other brewery.  I don't make the beer that often but have incorporated this into my recipe.

Just my 0.02
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 08:39:42 am »

IMHO, I would not put Special B in an Irish Red Ale.  That said, when I make mine, I put about 2 oz. of roasted barley in it for color adjustment in an 11 gallon batch.  It adds a small amount of dryness to the beer without adding any noticeable roastiness.  Lately, I have been a rebel using an idea I learned from a good friend who is a brewer at the Hell N' Blazes Brewery in Melbourne, FL .  He originally used 60, 80 and 120 crystal malts in his Red when he brewed it at another brewery some years back. I thought the beer was delicious when I had it, nice and caramelly.  Don't remember if he is doing this at his current gig because I don't recall having the beer whenever I have been there and don't know if he was able to take the recipe with him when he left the other brewery.  I don't make the beer that often but have incorporated this into my recipe.

Just my 0.02
I agree... I would be careful on the amount of Special B because the flavor could be assertive and out of place.  That said, I have it in my brewery regularly and will use it for color mostly.  Another plan of attack would be to hold the dark grains until after the mash and just let them steep for a few minutes prior top runoff... color with less flavor.  I did that on a dark lager that is in my on-deck fridge (thanks Brewbama) so I haven't tasted it yet.  I always have Carafa III and MW around but I have not used straight-up roasted barley in a long time.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 12:10:30 pm »

Just my 0.02

you mean mixing together 60, 80 and 120 crystal and adding that?

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 12:39:25 pm »

Just my 0.02

you mean mixing together 60, 80 and 120 crystal and adding that?

Yes, but not equal amounts.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified