Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hemp pale ale  (Read 802 times)

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
Hemp pale ale
« on: August 26, 2021, 02:28:10 pm »
I've tried a few of these (Hemperor) and would like to try and make one.  Where to get and what kind of hemp is best for this style?

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
Re: Hemp pale ale
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 09:51:35 am »
I live in moonshine country so when folks are looking for a quasi-legal beverage they go for something in a mason jar.

Never even seen a hemp beer on a menu so I have no advice to offer. Still, I've a couple questions:

Did the hemp beer you tried have any distinct flavor that you could recognize?
Is anybody growing hemp for flavor purposes?

I hope that hemp becomes useful to homebrewing if and only if it imparts something to that beer that you can't achieve any other way. Otherwise it's a gimmick.  Ooh look Martha.. they've gone and used them "left handed cigarettes" in a beer. Let's try one the next time we're at Applebee's...

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 10:48:31 am »
  Left handed Lucky Strikes would be the more specific term.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 02:15:37 pm »
I live in moonshine country so when folks are looking for a quasi-legal beverage they go for something in a mason jar.

Never even seen a hemp beer on a menu so I have no advice to offer. Still, I've a couple questions:

Did the hemp beer you tried have any distinct flavor that you could recognize?
Is anybody growing hemp for flavor purposes?

I hope that hemp becomes useful to homebrewing if and only if it imparts something to that beer that you can't achieve any other way. Otherwise it's a gimmick.  Ooh look Martha.. they've gone and used them "left handed cigarettes" in a beer. Let's try one the next time we're at Applebee's...

Yes there are a few commercial varieties of Hemp Pale ale.  Definitely can catch the aroma and even in the taste.