Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I missed an ingedient  (Read 965 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
I missed an ingedient
« on: October 04, 2021, 06:29:41 pm »
So i brewed a raspberry cream ale last week, it is now in secondary with the raspberries. I realize now that I failed to add the lactose at the boil stage as called for by my recipe. Can I add it now? or is it too late?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: I missed an ingedient
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 07:17:15 pm »
You can still add it now. Lactose is not very soluble in room-temp liquid, so dissolve it first in hot water, and then add that liquid to the beer.

Did you use whole fruit? Any bacteria and wild yeast the raspberries naturally had on them can likely digest lactose, so at the end of the day you might not get the sweetness you are after, and bottle bombs are a possibility.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 07:24:36 pm »
You can still add it now. Lactose is not very soluble in room-temp liquid, so dissolve it first in hot water, and then add that liquid to the beer.

Did you use whole fruit? Any bacteria and wild yeast the raspberries naturally had on them can likely digest lactose, so at the end of the day you might not get the sweetness you are after, and bottle bombs are a possibility.
I used whole frozen raspberries, i add a touch of Vodka in the hopes that it will kill any residual bacteria.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 07:43:04 pm »
So i brewed a raspberry cream ale last week, it is now in secondary with the raspberries. I realize now that I failed to add the lactose at the boil stage as called for by my recipe. Can I add it now? or is it too late?

can you say the stats or desired stats for this beer?

its like one of them milkshake-style cream ales?

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 07:57:44 pm »

Was not going for a milkshake style, just using the lactose to back sweeten as raspberries are a bit tart.
6 pounds Maris Otter
5.25 pounds Pure Idaho Pilsner
1 pound flaked corn
supposed to be 1/2 pound of lactose - initial plan was to increase to 3/4 as I felt it needed to be based on the last brew.
.6 Oz Columbus @ 45 min
1 Oz Galaxy at 5 min
OG 1.055
FG 1.012
IBU 36
ABV 5.7

Added 4 pounds frozen raspberries pureed with 1/4 cup of Vodka after primary fermentation completed.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 08:01:15 pm »

Was not going for a milkshake style, just using the lactose to back sweeten as raspberries are a bit tart.
6 pounds Maris Otter
1 pound flaked corn
supposed to be 1/2 pound of lactose - initial plan was to increase to 3/4 as I felt it needed to be based on the last brew.
.6 Oz Columbus @ 45 min
1 Oz Galaxy at 5 min
OG 1.055
FG 1.012
IBU 36
ABV 5.7

Added 4 pounds frozen raspberries pureed with 1/4 cup of Vodka after primary fermentation completed.

okay, thanks. ive never had any of the famous new glarus style raspberry tart stuff or anything, i want to though.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 08:05:20 pm »

6 pounds Maris Otter
1 pound flaked corn
.6 Oz Columbus @ 45 min
1 Oz Galaxy at 5 min
OG 1.055
FG 1.012
IBU 36
ABV 5.7

okay, thanks. ive never had any of the famous new glarus style raspberry tart stuff or anything, i want to though.
Was not going for tart, wanted to increase the lactose to add a bit more final sweetness, but somehow I f&%@#d up and didn't add any lactose at all.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 10:15:03 pm »

i understand, raspberry tart is the name of a beer that is not a sour. think more like small pie tart

6 pounds Maris Otter
1 pound flaked corn
.6 Oz Columbus @ 45 min
1 Oz Galaxy at 5 min
OG 1.055
FG 1.012
IBU 36
ABV 5.7

Was not going for tart, wanted to increase the lactose to add a bit more final sweetness, but somehow I f&%@#d up and didn't add any lactose at all.