Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's talk about Spaten Optimator  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Let's talk about Spaten Optimator
« on: January 15, 2021, 02:55:40 pm »
I have the luxury of being able to get this beer almost year round because most of the locals do not understand it.  When fresh, this beer is amazing.  There are definite notes of caramel, but there is also big continental malt flavor balanced by just enough bitterness.  It makes a lot of the bigger American craft beers seem like also-rans, especially when balance is factored into the equation.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Let's talk about Spaten Optimator
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:44:34 pm »
It’s a wonderful beer. A wonderfully dangerous beer. In my neck of the woods, there is a huge German American Festival the last weekend of August. Last year canceled for the first time in 57 years. Anyway, they typically have around 20 different German beers on tap and very fresh. Also, they have around 30 different German bottles of beer, every kind of German food, German live music and dancing. They always have Optimator on draft and it’s delicious with big rich Munich malt character and noble hops. One year my buddy and I got a pitcher and shared it. Let’s just say the pitcher went down fast because it has such easy drinkability and the alcohol definitely caught up to me. Lesson learned and if I get it now it is one and done. The best beer that I ever had there was Weihenstephaner Tradition (a Dunkel on the lighter SRM spectrum)which I believe was never or since been to the US. It was sublime and perfect for a sunny afternoon while eating some Weisswurst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 07:05:09 am »
One year my buddy and I got a pitcher and shared it. Let’s just say the pitcher went down fast because it has such easy drinkability and the alcohol definitely caught up to me. Lesson learned and if I get it now it is one and done.

Sharing a pitcher of Optimator with a friend is a recipe for serious intoxication.  This beer hides its relatively high ABV very well.  There are zero technical flaws.  When fresh, it makes one rethink the American approach to high ABV beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 10:36:43 am »
I love it. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 11:39:02 am »
I've had it, mostly in the US. In Germany I seek out Andechs Doppelbock Dunkel, or Augustiner Maximator. If you see those fresh, give them a try.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 04:28:16 pm »
I’ve been wanting to pick some up but the green bottles scare me. Had the Oktoberfest a couple of years and really enjoyed it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 09:01:25 am »
I can get it at the local walmart here and sometimes do. Good beer when fresh and has a date stamp which is awesomeness.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 04:04:01 pm »
Another thumbs up.  It has a great Munich malt character. I can't find it as much as used too. I used to drink the snot out of it in the 1990s.

Offline sapedijeff

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 02:57:43 pm »
I used to drink a ton of this beer. It is one of my favorites.  For almost a year and a half now, I cannot find it anywhere.  Anybody have any ideas where I can re-establish my supply line for my Optimator?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 03:02:25 pm »
I used to drink a ton of this beer. It is one of my favorites.  For almost a year and a half now, I cannot find it anywhere.  Anybody have any ideas where I can re-establish my supply line for my Optimator?

It's in many grocery stores around here
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell