Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: STC 1000 problems  (Read 805 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
STC 1000 problems
« on: August 22, 2021, 07:51:51 am »
I've had some equipment problems with my current Bo Pilsner ferment.  First my old Almond colored Maytag fridge from the 80's quit working and I needed a replacement fast. I called around and couldn't find any used, I guess they are hard to find now. I found a new one at Menard's, made in China, great smh.
I got it hooked up  before the temp got too high and things looked good for a couple of days until this morning. I got up and found the temp was 39* F.
I hooked up my old analog Johnson controller and it still works. So the STC 1000 kept cooling and did not shut off at the set temp. I checked for continuity across  the probe wires and got no signal. I'm not an electrician but have a basic knowledge of things related.

Does anyone have any similar problems? The unit was working fine until recently. I am good for now until the weather starts getting cold and I need a controller with a heating unit also.   
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Re: STC 1000 problems
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 10:51:30 am »
Update on my OP. I found a replacement in Fahrenheit. I had no idea they were so cheap now. My current one was the first run of the units that were flashed to read F instead of C. I've had it several years and liked how you can program them including the temp ramp feature. I payed a lot more for the
original.
             Prost 
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: STC 1000 problems
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 01:54:32 pm »
My first temp controller started losing memory addresses which made some temps not available.  Specifically the ones I generally used.  It would work 2 degs warmer or colder but not where I always kept it.  Anymore I assume if I get more than 5 years out of any electronics I've been lucky.

Glad you found a replacement.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?