Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Well, here we go again.  (Read 4501 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Well, here we go again.
« on: August 29, 2021, 04:14:49 pm »
Call me a glutton for punishment but I have accepted the Head Brewer position at Rocket Republic Brewing in Madison, AL. This brewery needs big time help, and not sure I can save it (the dummies weren't even cleaning the draft lines because no one could figure out whose job it was. Pretty ridiculous.) But I'm going to give it my best shot. Their beers aren't all bad. But there has been very little QC and a healthy dose of "don't give a damn" so, as you can imagine, a solid recipe for failure.

This will be my third head brewing position in as many years (the first one being at the brewery I founded but can't get bought out of, the second died because of Covid). I'm hoping to make this one stick for a few years. Otherwise -- I'm out for good.

Just when I started to enjoy homebrewing again.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Well, here we go again.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 04:16:19 pm »
I will say they do need help. I hope they’ll pick up what you lay down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 04:20:15 pm »
Good luck! Culture and give-a-crap along with financials and market mean prosperity bs death of a business. Sounds like they need front of house leadership as much as anything! Good luck. I have a business plan for a small chain of across the bar breweries, had my first investor and others joining up when COVID hit and we tabled it… thankfully!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 04:38:00 pm »
Thanks. Yeah, I have been cleaning the lines so the beers are a lot better! But, they are using old hops (isovaleric cheese bombs). The former brewer is a personal friend of mine so, like, I take this job with the knowledge that he thinks I screwed him over but the owner came to me. It's unfortunate because I only wanted to work at a brewery to access to cheap grain! But the entire business is on the brink of failure and the owner knows I have done this before ... he didn't beg me. But, ok, he did kinda beg me.

Regardless, I'm excited to have a new project. Love to get some local guys in for a sensory sometime.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 04:43:08 pm »
Thanks. Yeah, I have been cleaning the lines so the beers are a lot better! But, they are using old hops (isovaleric cheese bombs). The former brewer is a personal friend of mine so, like, I take this job with the knowledge that he thinks I screwed him over but the owner came to me. It's unfortunate because I only wanted to work at a brewery to access to cheap grain! But the entire business is on the brink of failure and the owner knows I have done this before ... he didn't beg me. But, ok, he did kinda beg me.

Regardless, I'm excited to have a new project. Love to get some local guys in for a sensory sometime.
Maybe I need to make a trip to the tap room. What should I order? What is good?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 04:55:18 pm »

Maybe I need to make a trip to the tap room. What should I order? What is good?

The Stratospheric Collision is a really good Hazy IPA. The Six iron Pils is also good. Aside from that, not much else. I'm working on fixing that but its gonna take a minute.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 05:43:13 pm »
“Just when i thought I was out, they pull me back in.”
- Majorvices Corleone

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 05:46:47 pm »
“Just when i thought I was out, they pull me back in.”
- Majorvices Corleone

Bwahahahaha!

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 05:48:55 pm »
It sounds like you're getting on the Titanic. You might be able to shovel coal into the boilers faster and better than the previous shoveler, but the captain is the problem. Said another way, a company's culture filters down from the top. If the owner(s) has that kind attitude, that would be a huge red flag to me not to work there. An owner like that usually doesn't like other people telling them what they need to do to right the ship.

I wish you luck, though.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 06:23:07 pm »
It sounds like you're getting on the Titanic. You might be able to shovel coal into the boilers faster and better than the previous shoveler, but the captain is the problem. Said another way, a company's culture filters down from the top. If the owner(s) has that kind attitude, that would be a huge red flag to me not to work there. An owner like that usually doesn't like other people telling them what they need to do to right the ship.

I wish you luck, though.

You aren't wrong. I know the original founder/head brewer who was forced out similar to me at my brewery (difference is they actually gave him money).

I'm giving it 6 months. I'm in a unique position where I'm "sorta" retired. So while I want to make this succeed it won't hurt me financially if it doesn't.

It's a sweet brewery: 15 bbl Premiere Stainless (capable of 20) and a decent canning line. And I am in control of hiring staff and any other changes I want.Basically full control. Could be a sweet gig if I can pull them out of their current circumstances. But, yeah, ownership is part of the problem. The owner approached me and asked if I wanted to invest. LOL no f'n way dude. ;)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 05:03:57 pm »
That is mighty brave of you to dive back in!  So sad to hear that they had the funds and organization to get started but couldn't attend to the little things like beer lines.  Even it they fail, I'll bet that you educate some folks that might continue on in the industry and learn to do things right.  Good luck!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 06:14:35 am »
They've been around for a while, actually. Since at least 2014, maybe earlier. It was more of a lackadaisical culture that got them in this mess (coupled with a "not-my-job" mentality). The owner wants to rescue at "all costs" so I think we can pull through. I'm actually pretty excited.

Now if I could just get that grain order to arrive that is days behind delivery.   ::)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 08:32:00 am »
You have my most sincere condolences. 😂
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 07:07:15 pm »
You have my most sincere condolences. 😂

Hahahahaha! There is a paycheck involved so it's not a total loss!

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 03:47:21 pm »
Holy crap Vice...

You're a braver man than I.

I can understand the desire to "come to the rescue" and be the one that turns everything around. Glad to hear that you're cautiously wading into a scenario like that and not blinded by ego.

Sounds like a bit of a "Roadhouse" situation if you catch my drift. Be nice until it's time not to be nice...