Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: omega yeast  (Read 9531 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: omega yeast
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2021, 07:26:46 pm »
My first foray and probably only foray into dried Kveik (Lallemand Voss) was horrible.

Why use Kveik when another yeast(s) was bred/selected through centuries for each specific beer style?

Is Kveik the yeast to help stop global warming? Less (no) HVAC required?

Some of it is that kveik is new to the larger brewing world and craft beer is all about something new. Some of it is the temperature forgiveness of at least some strains. Some will ferment fairly clean at warm temperatures which opens up making sorta lagers for people who don't have temperature control options.

I've personally been underwhelmed by all the kveik beers I've tried and never personally brewed with any. I suspect I would be more impressed in their more native styles but I haven't tried any Scandinavian styles with kveik. I've read a fair amount about them as they are interesting. Seems like some of the strains produce generally dissatisfying results outside of warmer temperatures. They shouldn't be treated as uniform fermenters even if they all share genetic similarities. 
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2021, 09:16:53 pm »
My first foray and probably only foray into dried Kveik (Lallemand Voss) was horrible.

Why use Kveik when another yeast(s) was bred/selected through centuries for each specific beer style?

Some of it is that kveik is new to the larger brewing world and craft beer is all about something new. Some of it is the temperature forgiveness of at least some strains. Some will ferment fairly clean at warm temperatures which opens up making sorta lagers for people who don't have temperature control options.

I've personally been underwhelmed by all the kveik beers I've tried and never personally brewed with any. I suspect I would be more impressed in their more native styles but I haven't tried any Scandinavian styles with kveik. I've read a fair amount about them as they are interesting. Seems like some of the strains produce generally dissatisfying results outside of warmer temperatures. They shouldn't be treated as uniform fermenters even if they all share genetic similarities.

yeah, same. i have tried commercial kveik and thought it was "okay", and that i would not want to describe it as a "pseudo-lager" or "kveik-lager" if it was me producing it. it is what it is. "clean" is not a totally accurate descriptor of it, and it feels like a really lazy way to describe a pretty new and unfamiliar yeast.

however, apparently there are many different varieties of kveik yeast, each one quite different from each other.

i would love to learn more about it, but the examples i had simply didn't interest me enough to bother brewing with it yet.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2021, 08:45:10 am »

I agree. From my pint of view the only advantages kveik offers is that it will ferment fast and hot.  I don't need either of those, so I prefer to use yeasts that I actually like the flavor of.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2021, 09:41:43 am »

I agree. From my pint of view the only advantages kveik offers is that it will ferment fast and hot.  I don't need either of those, so I prefer to use yeasts that I actually like the flavor of.
I bet autocorrect truly changed “point of view” to “pint of view”. We’ve now reached the singularity when AI has surpassed our human capacity. See you all on the other side.

Or, maybe that’s just a typo and I could be reading too much into it.
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2021, 01:47:49 pm »

Lutra is a different beast. It is truly clean, and works fast. I will say that it still takes a fair amount of time to clear, so you can't get a squeaky-clean lager in a week. But with spunding and/or burst carbonation you could certainly turn a brew out in 4 or 5 days, maybe even 3. Even if it isn't my first choice for most beers, that trick is certainly worth a spot in my fridge.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer