Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yesterday  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Yesterday
« on: August 31, 2021, 06:46:53 pm »
 3.25 gallon batch
O G: 1.042
F G: don't know yet
3 lbs Bavarian wheat dme
.75 oz willammette hops at 6%
1 pack K-97
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 09:45:17 am »
Had a weird fermentation. Pitched yeast at 4:30 pm and 66f and  saw a very small hint of foam at 8 pm. The next morning at 7 I saw about 1/8 inch of foam and no airlock activity. At noon the airlock was burping faster than once a second and the foam was over 1 inch thick. At 8 pm the foam had fallen and no more airlock activity.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 09:41:40 am »
Have you taken another gravity reading? It would be interesting to see how far it went in 24 hours. That's a lot of yeast for 3.25 gallons of sub 1.050 ale, but it would still be astonishing if it completely fermented out in 24 hours.

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 11:14:47 am »
Was there a large fluctuation in temperature that might account for the fall?  That was a quick turn, for sure.  I brewed an Octoberfest Sunday and it pretty much finished by this morning (Thursday).  Temperature went up to 58F at high krausen and is now back to ambient (in a fridge) 52F.  I pitched a slurry from a prior batch of Vienna after racking that beer (one week from brewing).  I have no experience with K-97, however.  Sounds like a beast.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 08:53:56 am »
Have you taken another gravity reading? It would be interesting to see how far it went in 24 hours. That's a lot of yeast for 3.25 gallons of sub 1.050 ale, but it would still be astonishing if it completely fermented out in 24 hours.
Not yet, I'm going to leave it alone for a week or so before taking a reading.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 08:58:19 am »
Was there a large fluctuation in temperature that might account for the fall?  That was a quick turn, for sure.  I brewed an Octoberfest Sunday and it pretty much finished by this morning (Thursday).  Temperature went up to 58F at high krausen and is now back to ambient (in a fridge) 52F.  I pitched a slurry from a prior batch of Vienna after racking that beer (one week from brewing).  I have no experience with K-97, however.  Sounds like a beast.
Not much of a fluctuation, but it did get a bit warm: 73-75ish which probably accounts for the quickness.
The last time I used K-97 it took almost three days and the time before that almost five days. Both those batches were at lower temperatures.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 01:33:33 pm »
I have never tried K-97 yeast and I have a pack that I need to use. Maybe make a Kolsch or a Altbier with this yeast.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 07:37:33 pm »
I have never tried K-97 yeast and I have a pack that I need to use. Maybe make a Kolsch or a Altbier with this yeast.

k-97 and WB-06 are misunderstood and underused yeasts. i used k-97 and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

i made an amarillo/el dorado/ekg pale ale with it and i found that it expressed hops very well and kept a haze for a long time. it could honestly be used for a hazy IPA i think.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 04:45:09 am »
… That's a lot of yeast for 3.25 gallons of sub 1.050 ale, …

I would have pitched more …13 grams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 08:04:05 am »
I was happy with the alt I brewed with it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 09:08:18 am »
I would have pitched more …13 grams.

That is my primary fermentation size for 3-gallon batches and an 11g package of dry ale yeast handles beers in the sixties well.  Fermentation starts as fast as two 11g packages in a 5.25-gallon fermentation.  The reality is that there is no significant difference between 11g and 13g in terms of time to maximum cell density.  It is fraction of a replication period. There is no real difference in lag time until we double our pitching rate.