Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New BP Book: The Fermentation Kitchen by Gabe Toth!  (Read 1103 times)

Offline KRISTI

• 1st Kit
    • Brewers Publications
New BP Book: The Fermentation Kitchen by Gabe Toth!
« on: September 03, 2021, 12:53:58 pm »
Greetings All,

Just a quick note to make sure you are aware the latest book release from Brewers Publications! The Fermentation Kitchen: Recipes for the Craft Beer Lover’s Pantry is available at 25% off for members through September 7 using the members-only code emailed on August 31. There is so much good stuff packed in this book – I think you’ll love it!

The Fermentation Kitchen is part how-to guide, part cookbook, and part reference manual on how fermented foods work and how to tweak your recipe. Learn to ferment vegetables, hot sauce, kombucha, bread, sausage, vinegar, condiments, and more. Author Gabe Toth is an award-winning brewer, distiller, and journalist who spent 15 years studying and experimenting with fermented and live-culture foods. This book is essential reading for brewers, home cooks, foodies, and craft beer enthusiasts.

Did you know?

•   Fermented foods and beverages account for about one-third of the global human diet.
•   Fermented foods contribute a diverse array of microorganisms to the existing gut microbiota and thus have the potential to affect health; thereby fitting into today’s growing wellness lifestyle.
•   For each g/day increase in the average national consumption of fermented vegetables, the mortality risk for COVID-19 decreased by 35.4% (95% CI: 11.4%, 35.5%).
•   The fermented ingredients market is expected to increase to $39 billion in the U.S. by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 8.5%. Consumers’ gastrointestinal issues and growing sales of alcoholic beverages are driving this growth. (Million Insights)

As always, if you have ideas for books or you think you might be interested in authoring a book, please touch base. I’m always happy to kick around ideas or talk to potential authors.

Cheers,
Kristi Switzer
Publisher, Brewers Publications
Kristi Switzer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New BP Book: The Fermentation Kitchen by Gabe Toth!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 12:55:50 pm »
Wow, this one looks MUCH more interesting to me than brewing with cannabis!  I'm curious about the COVID claim, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 02:04:32 pm »
Fermented some hot sauce last year when we had an abundance of Jalapeños. Tried out some Kimchi this spring and now I'm hooked. Got a whole shelf in the fridge full of fermented dill pickles, garlic dill spears Jalapeño dills, pickle chips, Kimchi, hot sauce, etc. Simple, cheap and loaded with probiotics.  This book sounds like it may help take my fermentations to the next level. SOLD!
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 05:19:16 pm »
Wow, this one looks MUCH more interesting to me than brewing with cannabis!  I'm curious about the COVID claim, though.
Spurious correlation.  Healthy people are more likely to be into fermented foods to begin with.  Not to say the fermented foods are neat- don't forget to check out Sandor Katz on the subject too.  He outright refuses to publicly claim that his love of fermented foods as anything to do with his long healthy history living with HIV.  Smart dude!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 08:33:14 am »

Correlation does not equal causation!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 12:53:31 pm »
Spurious correlation.  Healthy people are more likely to be into fermented foods to begin with.  Not to say the fermented foods are neat- don't forget to check out Sandor Katz on the subject too.  He outright refuses to publicly claim that his love of fermented foods as anything to do with his long healthy history living with HIV.  Smart dude!

yup, i find a lot of claims like this tough to swallow. you could easily map people who understand and consume fermented foods in the western world as being both better educated and wealthier than those who don't along with tons of other factors.

Offline KRISTI

• 1st Kit
    • Brewers Publications
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 10:30:23 am »
I'm pretty skeptical by nature, but it's interesting to read some of the studies. This might be a fun read for those that are interested. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7378002/

I'm starting some salmonberry vinegar this week.

Cheers,
Kristi
Kristi Switzer