Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning Draft lines  (Read 856 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Cleaning Draft lines
« on: September 01, 2021, 09:23:42 am »
I've not kegged since COVID began, but want to get back into it to provide a keg or two for charity events our homebrew club is participating in.  I will need to clean and sanitize my kegs and draft lines to the picnic taps, but do I need to do anything to the CO2 supply lines to the pressure regulator and gas-in posts on the kegs? Thanks in advance for your help.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Cleaning Draft lines
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 10:45:26 am »
The gas lines only need to be cleaned when you replace them. This is to remove any residual oils or other contaminants left over from the manufacturing process. If they've been disconnected for any period of time, I'd give the disconnects a good cleaning. Other than that, just spraying the inside of the disconnects with Starsan before they're reconnected to the kegs is all you need to do.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 04:28:57 pm »
I have never cleaned my gas lines except for when beer got sucked into them.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 09:21:45 am »
The gas lines only need to be cleaned when you replace them. This is to remove any residual oils or other contaminants left over from the manufacturing process. If they've been disconnected for any period of time, I'd give the disconnects a good cleaning. Other than that, just spraying the inside of the disconnects with Starsan before they're reconnected to the kegs is all you need to do.

Draught Beer Quality Manual, 4th ed. doesn't mention much if anything about cleaning a "dry" gas line. And that book talks about everything.

I like the idea of being aware of residuals from the gas bottling process. Compressed gas always smells like a tool box to me. A treasured scent memory from my youth but not in a beer. Oil is for robots, beer is for people.

Unless you're Bender.