Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best bottle capper?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Best bottle capper?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 12:22:11 pm »
I have used a few bench cappers but the winged capper are by far the fastest and easiest for me.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/emily-bottle-capper.html

+1

Yes, these types of cappers do have some shortcomings as mentioned but this is a good capper. I've had this one for 8 years and it's always sealed well and worked great for me and I've never broke a bottle with it or had one not seal. I have a backup one in case it breaks but so far so good.

Everybody's experience is different though.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 05:17:05 pm »
I have used a few bench cappers but the winged capper are by far the fastest and easiest for me.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/emily-bottle-capper.html

+1

Yes, these types of cappers do have some shortcomings as mentioned but this is a good capper. I've had this one for 8 years and it's always sealed well and worked great for me and I've never broke a bottle with it or had one not seal. I have a backup one in case it breaks but so far so good.

Everybody's experience is different though.

I have one of those red Italian ones and it worked quite well for a long time, then the bell got a bit bent. I can't get a new one, though, because I told my wife it was the only red Ferrari that I would ever buy.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2021, 06:59:42 am »
You do realize that the bells are removable and replaceable? I actually have 2 different sized bells that I interchange for different sized bottle baps (can't remember the exact mm now but beer bottles vs european champagne bottles

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 09:07:32 am »
Yes, I know the bells are replaceable. It was a joke. I guess I should have used an emoji. :)
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2021, 10:20:37 am »
You do realize that the bells are removable and replaceable? I actually have 2 different sized bells that I interchange for different sized bottle baps (can't remember the exact mm now but beer bottles vs european champagne bottles

Probably 17mm & 19mm. When I bought my bench capper M.B. listed it as a Ferrari but the label on the capper itself say Gryfo, & it came with 17 & 19mm bells. It has been a good solid, durable, well build capper for the most part, as of yesterday it's capped over 9,600 bottles. My only real complaint is that it has a spring loaded head which is only a problem when a bottle gets hung up in the bell, about the time I almost get the bottle pried loose the spring kicks the bottle out a high velocity to slam into the base, usually with one of my fingers caught in between. Fortunately the only bottles I have that are prone to getting hung up are Pacificos and Coronas which seem to have greater variability on neck diameter than American bottles. At this point I have weeded out most of the problematic bottles, but some days either the spring tension gets out of whack, or maybe I don't hold my mouth right, and then I'll have a dozen or so bottles give me grief. If I had another dozen or so cases of New Belgium, Sam Adams or other American bottles I'd completely retire the friggin Pacificos and eliminate my bottling gremlins.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!