Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2021 Sierra Nevada Octoberfest  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
2021 Sierra Nevada Octoberfest
« on: September 05, 2021, 07:56:25 am »
In two words, don't bother!  As I feared, this year's Octoberfest is a bland, sweet mess.  It's your typical American take on Märzen beer.  I guess Sierra Nevada got a lot of negative feedback from people who are used to drinking American-style Märzen last year.  Last year's beer was more of a modern festbier.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:14:04 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 2021 Sierra Nevada Octoberfest
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 08:48:04 am »
In two words, don't bother!  As I feared, this year's Octoberfest is a bland, sweet mess.  It's your typical American take on Märzen beer.  I guess Sierra Nevada got a lot of negative feedback from people who are used to drinking American-style Märzen last year.  Last year's beer was more of a modern festbier.

Wow, I perceived it completely differently.  I found it dry, toasty, and not even approaching sweet.  I wonder if maybe yours was made in Ashville and mine in Chico and there are differences somehow.  Although, with SN's focus on consistency that would be surprising.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
2021 Sierra Nevada Octoberfest
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 09:27:51 am »
That’s unfortunate. I haven’t seen it around yet and now I think I’ll have to pass. I always appreciated SN O-fest especially when they teamed up with a German brewery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 09:39:59 am by dannyjed »
Dan Chisholm

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 10:16:37 am »
I had one yesterday and thought it was very good. I didn't find it sweet and pretty sure mine was brewed in Asheville. I'll try another one today and reassess

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 10:29:46 am »
That’s unfortunate. I haven’t seen it around yet and now I think I’ll have to pass. I always appreciated SN O-fest especially when they teamed up with a German brewery.

Keith and I don't find it sweet at all.  Try it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 10:30:38 am »
I had one yesterday and thought it was very good. I didn't find it sweet and pretty sure mine was brewed in Asheville. I'll try another one today and reassess

Yeah, yours probably would be.  All I can say is that I was actually surprised by how dry it was.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 10:34:00 am »

Keith and I don't find it sweet at all.  Try it.
I’ll give it a try. I get Mills River where I live. I went to Mills River in June when I was visiting my brother in Asheville. The Maibock was spot on and wonderful during a warm afternoon. My wife made me switch to the Dankful which was amazing.

Dan Chisholm

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 02:48:04 pm »

Wow, I perceived it completely differently.  I found it dry, toasty, and not even approaching sweet.  I wonder if maybe yours was made in Ashville and mine in Chico and there are differences somehow.  Although, with SN's focus on consistency that would be surprising.

I tend to agree with Denny on this.  I'm drinking one as we speak.  My tasting notes from like 6 minutes ago on Untapp'd (well aw hell, here's an image):

The first thing I detected (from a fresh clean palate) was dark CARAMEL, followed by strong bitterness, a burp of slightly citrusy but still noble-ish hop character, and then the dark roasted malt -- apparently they use Special Roast and black malt -- odd.  So, yeah.  Not what I expected.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 02:53:54 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 03:53:09 pm »
So, take it back. It’s definitely too sweet and too “caramelly”. I’m thinking this is a west coast/east coast thing.

Yesterday I cracked one open around the grill and kinda just drank it because I was ready for a beer. But today I can see where saccharomyces  is talking about:

Unfortunately this is what people on the east coast expect from
ofest… think Sam Adams. It’s not that it is bad, but it’s doing it’s own thing

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 07:36:08 am »
I'm with Denny on this one as well. Dry, toasty, somewhat bitter, not at all sweet. It's obvious that they're not using German malts, but other than that it's a respectable Marzen.
I'm lucky enough to live close to a German style pub that taps nothing but fresh kegs of German lagers. I'll always choose a fresh German lager over an American equivalent, but I'll certainly try the American version, especially if it comes from a brewery with integrity  - like Sierra Nevada.
The Oktoberfest I had was from the Chico brewery by the way.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 08:11:34 am »
If anyone wants to trade let me know. I think they may be targeting two different regions. The East Coast has notoriously leaned more toward "sweeter" more caramel stylesovelr the years. Some of the local IPAs are very caramel forward -- unfortunately.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 11:18:47 am »
Cans this year, correct. The code on the bottom will have a C or an M in it. Y'all can figure out where your beer was brewed.
 ;)

I haven't found it yet, but haven't looked for it specifically.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 11:31:53 am »
Cans this year, correct. The code on the bottom will have a C or an M in it. Y'all can figure out where your beer was brewed.
 ;)

Mine have a C

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 11:46:09 am »
 ;)

Mine have a C
Mine have a C as well.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 11:55:14 am »
I wonder why the two different breweries would be allowed to brew different beers. It would seem to me the quality controls would be in place to brew very near the same beers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk