Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scaling question  (Read 766 times)

Offline ALS Brewing

• 1st Kit
Scaling question
« on: September 13, 2021, 02:38:47 pm »
With a 10 gallon fermenter, I’ve been brewing two separate batches (5 gallons a piece). Both batches are combined in the conical fermenter after the wort chiller does its thing. I hold pitching the yeast until the second batch is ready of course. With all that being said, my question is one packet of yeast enough for 10 gallons or should I be using two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Scaling question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 03:06:22 pm »
With a 10 gallon fermenter, I’ve been brewing two separate batches (5 gallons a piece). Both batches are combined in the conical fermenter after the wort chiller does its thing. I hold pitching the yeast until the second batch is ready of course. With all that being said, my question is one packet of yeast enough for 10 gallons or should I be using two?

It depends on the gravity, among other things, but why not try pitching the yeast at the start of transfer of the first 5 gallons instead of waiting?  Give yeast a chance.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 08:13:50 pm »
Definitely depends on gravity and yeast strain. Let’s say it’s 10 gal of an avg 1.048 Ale: 2 packs would be recommended.

Same gravity, 10 gal of Lager: 4 packs recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 06:47:34 am »
I hold pitching the yeast until the second batch is ready of course.

Why wait for the second batch? The sooner it's pitched the shorter the lag time. If you brew a day or two apart from each other you can get one batch going before adding the second batch, it possible to reduce the pitch size. But adding extra yeast will do little harm since it's not likely that you will be creating an over pitch condition.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 02:57:48 pm »
I hold pitching the yeast until the second batch is ready of course.

Why wait for the second batch? The sooner it's pitched the shorter the lag time. If you brew a day or two apart from each other you can get one batch going before adding the second batch, it possible to reduce the pitch size. But adding extra yeast will do little harm since it's not likely that you will be creating an over pitch condition.

Fully agree.. can't imagine a scenario where I would ever think "Oh man.. my beer is ready too quickly" Help those yeast fulfill their destiny!