Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Märzen  (Read 11042 times)

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
Re: American Märzen
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2021, 09:44:11 am »
No, it's different every year. Often they partner with a German brewery.  This year they didn't.

It is not difficult to tell that Sierra Nevada (SN) did not partner with a German brewery this year.    The beer is too sweet, lacks good continental malt aroma and taste, and for lack of a better description, a fizzy bitterness.  At least, that is my perception of what is coming out of Mills River.  Last year's Octoberfest was outstanding.  It made me reconsider SN's ability to make high quality lager.  Their lagers are not bad.  It is just that they are very pedestrian.
I don't understand why they would need to partner with a German brewery. It seems to me that brewers of their caliber (I believe, but could be wrong) would be able to get very close to a true Marzen on their own.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2021, 09:45:42 am »
Thread is awesome! I think some people like different things and some American brewers make really good Marzen while others make really bad Marzen. Sounds like any other style...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:47:28 am by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2021, 09:53:00 am »
Just had the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest beer. Did not care for it.

What didn't you like?

It was a little darker, sweeter, and a bit too “malty” for my taste. Not that I would turn it down, if I were at a pool party!

My preference is a nice festbier. More of a Munich Helles on steroids beer.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 09:54:40 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
American Märzen
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2021, 09:53:38 am »
No, it's different every year. Often they partner with a German brewery.  This year they didn't.

It is not difficult to tell that Sierra Nevada (SN) did not partner with a German brewery this year.    The beer is too sweet, lacks good continental malt aroma and taste, and for lack of a better description, a fizzy bitterness.  At least, that is my perception of what is coming out of Mills River.  Last year's Octoberfest was outstanding.  It made me reconsider SN's ability to make high quality lager.  Their lagers are not bad.  It is just that they are very pedestrian.
I don't understand why they would need to partner with a German brewery. It seems to me that brewers of their caliber (I believe, but could be wrong) would be able to get very close to a true Marzen on their own.
That’s just marketing. They know how to brew and can make any style they want.

I think Sierra Nevada has changed direction. They dropped Summerfest, moved Oktoberfest to a Marzen, and have gone hog wild for Hazy IPAs. I think they are just moving toward a mainstream American consumer.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 09:57:29 am by tommymorris »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2021, 09:54:07 am »

Why does any brewery partner with any other brewery to make a beer?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2021, 09:56:39 am »

That’s just marketing. They know how to brew and can make any style they want.

I think Sierra Nevada has changed direction. They dropped Summerfest, moved Oktoberfest to a Marzen, and have gone how wild for Hazy IPAs. I think they are just moving toward a mainstream American consumer.

You can say the same thing about AB. They absolutely can make wonderful beer! I had some of their pilot brews at the GABF.

Years ago AB marketed a sampler pack case of beer, by Michelob. It had four 6-packs, a Marzen, Porter, Pale Ale, don't recall the 4th flavor in the case. I seem to remember it was a Honey Lager? But it was not a bad sampling at all.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:11:33 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2021, 11:15:57 am »
Here's a pic from maybe 5 years ago...

I'm a lifelong Chicagoan so I know Old Style but never knew they made an Oktoberfest.  I bought a 4-pack of them.  HO LEE COW was this beer bad.  Super sweet and clunky finish.  I fine (bad!) example of what we're talking about here.  Just turrible.   
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2021, 11:18:30 am »
It's funny, here in Montana one of the breweries here's owner and head brewer is from Bavaria and was trained there. Yet, his "Oktoberfest" is totally out of style....as you can see, it's "dark brown".

https://www.bayernbrewery.com/oktoberfest

Even so, as it is malty and roasty, it's still pretty tasty for whatever it is. He makes a hefe that is the best American version I have ever tasted.

One of these types of beers I really like is Full Sail's Session Fest Beer. As someone mentioned earlier, it's a fine like between Marzen/Oktoberfest/festbier/Czech amber.

I think Oktoberfest is one of the easiest styles to brew at home. I like mine to be 1.060 OG, 1/3 each of pils, vienna, and light munich, and hopped to around 30 IBUs with nothing but Continental noble hops. Probably not to style either, but it's to my taste.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2021, 11:40:22 am »
Here is the best example I have found in the US, and brewed in Texas.
Altstadt Okt Oktoberfest.

It is a Munich style beer, brewed with Pils, Munich, and Vienna malts. It is extremely well balanced, not sweet at all, with a nice restrained malt character. The hops are very subtle here. Very smooth, almost crisp, like a typical Festbier.

https://www.altstadtbeer.com/beers/oktoberfest/

https://www.altstadtbeer.com/beers/

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 12:01:29 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2021, 12:11:26 pm »
From the Samuel Adams website, the malt varieties in their Octoberfest (The label also calls it a traditional marzen):
Malt Varieties
Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend, Munich-10, Samuel Adams OctoberFest malt, and Caramel 60

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2021, 12:34:14 pm »
guys, please keep in mind it's just barely september.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2021, 12:48:39 pm »
Yeah, which means it's almost time for Christmas beers. The pumpkin beer is already past its prime...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2021, 02:02:41 pm »
Yeah, which means it's almost time for Christmas beers. The pumpkin beer is already past its prime...

But we have not seen the Double Hazy Pumpkin Shandy yet! Soon to be at a store near you.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2021, 07:57:48 pm »
+1

We stopped at Sierra Nevada in Mills River, NC and I tried their 2021 Octoberfest a couple of weeks ago. Not a fan of this year's version. I hope they get back to the collaboration version.

Do they not have a set recipe for this? They change it every year? Is this the case with most brewers? How about Boston Beer Company?

They didn't  last yesr either.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2021, 08:53:10 pm »
+1

We stopped at Sierra Nevada in Mills River, NC and I tried their 2021 Octoberfest a couple of weeks ago. Not a fan of this year's version. I hope they get back to the collaboration version.

Do they not have a set recipe for this? They change it every year? Is this the case with most brewers? How about Boston Beer Company?

They didn't  last year either.

How does the partnership work? What input do the German breweries have in making the beer? And why do they do this?
Obviously, they decided not to work with them the last two years.