Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Märzen  (Read 11244 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: American Märzen
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2021, 09:31:35 pm »
+1

We stopped at Sierra Nevada in Mills River, NC and I tried their 2021 Octoberfest a couple of weeks ago. Not a fan of this year's version. I hope they get back to the collaboration version.

Do they not have a set recipe for this? They change it every year? Is this the case with most brewers? How about Boston Beer Company?

No, it's different every year. Often they partner with a German brewery.  This year they didn't.

They didn't  last year either.

How does the partnership work? What input do the German breweries have in making the beer? And why do they do this?
Obviously, they decided not to work with them the last two years.
How does any collaboration work?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2021, 10:08:34 pm »

Two breweries discuss a rough recipe and technique and then the breweries get together with the head brewers farting around with pints, taking pics of themselves throwing hops into the kettle while the younger brewers do the work?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2021, 03:40:21 am »
Looks like no one has an answer to the serious questions posed in #119.

The biggest question to ask is why would Sierra Nevada want to do this in the first place? Can they not make the beer they want to, without outside help?
And why did they discontinue working with the Germans?

Or maybe, just maybe...the Germans simply said "Nicht mehr".

Would Anheuser-Busch partner with Molson-Coors to produce a seasonal beer?

Would General Motors partner with Ford Motor Company to produce a new sports car?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 04:57:46 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2021, 05:51:24 am »
Marketing.  But I must say many times the collab beer is wonderful, so maybe some synergy is achieved.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2021, 06:52:09 am »
Marketing for sure. Of course they can make any beer style without a collaboration, but having a Bavarian brewery's name attached to one of their beers likely gives a temporary bump to sales. Not from those of us who appreciate the style but from the vast majority of the beer guzzling public who are just curious. They try one before ordering their typical "Double Hazy Pumpkin Shandy."  ::)

And it boils down to sales. As always, follow the money. Had these beers, which have been described as "wonderful" on this thread (I agree), sold better and SN was making money, they would still be in production.

Breweries are a business, and provide their customers the product(s) they desire and are willing to buy.

Roger

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2021, 07:10:47 am »

The biggest question to ask is why would Sierra Nevada want to do this in the first place? Can they not make the beer they want to, without outside help?

Would General Motors partner with Ford Motor Company to produce a new sports car?

The SN folks have been going to Germany for years. Hop selection and equipment sourcing trips, for example. Then there is Drinktek (SP). Brewers start friendships. Sierra Nevada is known to be excellent in quality and technichnology. I bumped into the brewer at Mahrs in Bamberg, and he was really excited to have been selected that year, had his Sierra Nevada baseball cap on.

Some of the collaboration brews used malts sourced with the breweries, Steffi for example. There was an older hop used one year, and when they worked with Bitburg the used the Bitburg yeast and hop blend.

Why did they stop? My take is that there were too many other things to take care of. The selection would have happened before Covid hit. The Germans saying no? Turn down the trip to the release event in the USA? I don't think so.

Car companies do work on joint projects fairly often, but not image cars like a sports car. GM and Ford have done joint development on a couple of transmissions (a huge investment), for example. I remember joint projects for different delivery vans.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2021, 07:25:29 am »

The SN folks have been going to Germany for years. Hop selection and equipment sourcing trips, for example. Then there is Drinktek (SP). Brewers start friendships. Sierra Nevada is known to be excellent in quality and technichnology. I bumped into the brewer at Mahrs in Bamberg, and he was really excited to have been selected that year, had his Sierra Nevada baseball cap on.

Some of the collaboration brews used malts sourced with the breweries, Steffi for example. There was an older hop used one year, and when they worked with Bitburg the used the Bitburg yeast and hop blend.

Why did they stop? My take is that there were too many other things to take care of. The selection would have happened before Covid hit. The Germans saying no? Turn down the trip to the release event in the USA? I don't think so.

Car companies do work on joint projects fairly often, but not image cars like a sports car. GM and Ford have done joint development on a couple of transmissions (a huge investment), for example. I remember joint projects for different delivery vans.

Thanks for your input. Very interesting, and good to know!
I wish the Bitburger collaborated beer would have made it to my refrigerator.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:47:01 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2021, 07:50:05 am »

Two breweries discuss a rough recipe and technique and then the breweries get together with the head brewers farting around with pints, taking pics of themselves throwing hops into the kettle while the younger brewers do the work?
Ha! I was being a bit sarcastic. This thread is awesome!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2021, 08:10:52 am »

Nope.  For one thing, you're assuming German breweries are monolithic and would all do the same thing.  It's simply marketing for both breweries.  Plus maybe a fun project.  Don't let your romantic notions get in the way of simple reality.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2021, 09:19:39 am »
Don't let your romantic notions get in the way of simple reality.

lol, we're in a thread debating the differences between festbier and maerzen and clearly inferior american malts  ::). the whole thread is about romantic notions.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2021, 10:12:15 am »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2021, 10:46:24 am »
Well...not sure about romantic notions, but I developed a very fond relationship with Bitburger during my time spent in Mainz and Frankfurt.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2021, 11:28:46 am »

lol, we're in a thread debating the differences between festbier and maerzen and clearly inferior american malts  ::). the whole thread is about romantic notions.
I think the idea that European malts are superior to American malts is a romantic notion. Intended for different purposes, sure, but neither is superior or inferior.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2021, 11:45:45 am »

I think the idea that European malts are superior to American malts is a romantic notion. Intended for different purposes, sure, but neither is superior or inferior.

Or that German beer is superior.  It's different, it's good, but it's not necessarily better in any objective way. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2021, 11:56:08 am »
Or that German beer is superior.  It's different, it's good, but it's not necessarily better in any objective way.
That's a tough one.  If you were in Munich, your everyday beer would be some kind of helles that was made by a brewery that makes excellent beer.  If you were in many American towns and cities, "everyday" beer might be Coors or Bud or Miller (or Corona or Heineken or Modelo or whatever) and I would personally say that the well-made helles is far superior.  That might not be fair because even though they're "everyday" beers, they're not really the same.  The US makes styles that are not made in Germany and I happen to know that many Germans (and Czechs and Austrians) are loving hoppy US styles so in Germany they might say that OUR beer is better primarily because it's harder for them to get.  I sat at a table in Vienna drinking US-inspired IPA and everyone sitting with us mentioned how much they like it.  When I was thinking of "everyday" beer drinkers I envisioned St. Louis because it's the home of Bud.  But Urban Chestnut is also in St. Louis and makes a lot of fantastic German-inspired beers including a Zwickl and a Pilsner that are absolutely fantastic.  If they make a Marzen or Festbier, my guess is that it's outstanding. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:57:56 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.