Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Splitting the strike water volume  (Read 863 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Splitting the strike water volume
« on: September 05, 2021, 10:25:11 am »
I have recently upgraded most of my equipment to allow 11 gallon batches. I have a double IPA that I scaled up from the original 6 gallon recipe. The problem I have is the strike water volume for this recipe is 15 gallons. I have no way to heat 15 gallons at one time (for now) I thought that perhaps i could split the strike water into two additions. What would be the best way to accomplish this? Should I split the strike volume in half for the initial infusion shoot for say 145ish, with the second addition bringing my final mash temp to 154? Or would it be better to go straight to 154 and use the second addition to maintain that temperature?
Second question, water adjustment, should I add all the minerals in one of the infusions, or split them among both?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Splitting the strike water volume
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 10:29:09 am »
Could you store then first batch of water in a cooler to keep it hot, then add after the second batch is heated?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 10:30:23 am »
Could you store then first batch of water in a cooler to keep it hot, then add after the second batch is heated?
I could do that, did not even occur to me.....
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 10:31:04 am »

Yeh, thats why I brought it up.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 10:33:02 am »

Yeh, thats why I brought it up.

This is what happens when you try to overthink things, you miss the plainly obvious. Thank you.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 10:36:11 am »
One other consideration. Is the kettle you're using for your strike water the same as the boil kettle for your wort? If so, it won't be large enough for all of the pre-boil wort. Unless you split the boil volume.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 10:39:20 am »
One other consideration. Is the kettle you're using for your strike water the same as the boil kettle for your wort? If so, it won't be large enough for all of the pre-boil wort. Unless you split the boil volume.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I prefer to use my DigiBoil for strike water as temperature control is a bit easier. This is only 8 gallons.
My kettle can handle 14 gallons, which is just barely enough to fit this particular pre-boil volume.