Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Smoked Malt  (Read 2803 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Using Smoked Malt
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 08:28:54 am »
I made a "Smoketoberfest" once that was so delicious ... well, to those who like smoke beers. I don't recall the percentage of smoke malt I used but it was only mildly smoky. Of course, like schlenkerla, it's one of those beers that you really only want one of. And I can't see myself enjoying an entire liter of the stuff.

With the Smoked Scottish 8 oz was PLENTY. I loved it ... but it became overwhelming.

When you at the Ausschank drinking Schlenkerla fresh from the wooden barrels it takes 3 or 4 half liters to perform a proper evaluation.

I will concede to that assessment

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 08:30:03 am »
I wonder if temperature affects how you sense the smoke intensity, the beer was at 70 degrees F when I tasted it. It may be different at 36F. I will have to update in a couple of weeks.

You usually can taste "more" when something is warm. Chocolate for instance is almost flavorless when it is frozen.

Offline waterbull66

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 08:57:36 am »
   Smoked malt definitely does lose potency over time. I just did a rauchbier split between 05 and 34/70 with some Briess CW malt that has to be at least 4 years old, ~11% of the bill. I had one of the ales last night and the smoke flavor is VERY subtle, not nearly as strong as the last time I used the malt a few years ago. Just bottled the 34/70 the other day so I haven't tried it yet.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 10:25:16 am »
If you walk by smoked malt at the homebrewshop and smell the smokey aroma, you know that is leaving the malt to the atmosphere. Fresh is best. I smoke my own Rauchmalz.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2021, 10:47:15 am »
I have smoked my own a few times -- it's pretty easy even if you don't have a cold smoker. I've done it in a mesh wire basket on a Weber grill before. Just spray the malt down a bit to dampen it and redistribute a few times and smoke till you feel it is good. Doesn't take long IME

That said, the Briess Cherry wood has given me some good results and has been fresh when I ordered it in the past.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2021, 04:52:02 pm »
Briess Cherrywood malt comes in a foil lined bag (or it did when a friend and I split a bag).

I will just say it is too phenolic and harsh for me. YMMV.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2021, 05:42:00 pm »
I ordered a couple bags a couple years back and don't recall that. I really liked the results. I used it with a light hand.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 11:46:48 am »
smoke is just one flavor I cant stand in any detectable amount in beer.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2021, 12:40:58 pm »
OK.  I have to share this story.  I made a smoked porter a number of years back and made it with 20% Bamberg smoked malt.  I entered it in a competition and got the feedback from the judges saying "more smoke".  I upped it to 50% for the next competition and same feedback saying "more smoke" although it did medal that time.  So I said OK, I fix your wagon and made it with 100% smoked malt.  It wasn't bad but too smoky for my friends and the judges said "maybe just a bit less smoke" and gave me a bronze medal.  Go figure!

Moral to the story, brew it to taste.  I am going to use about 35-40% the next time I make it and should be fine.  Also remember the amount of smokiness in the malt can change from year to year as well so you have to play around with it.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2021, 02:37:00 pm »
OK.  I have to share this story.  I made a smoked porter a number of years back and made it with 20% Bamberg smoked malt.  I entered it in a competition and got the feedback from the judges saying "more smoke".  I upped it to 50% for the next competition and same feedback saying "more smoke" although it did medal that time.  So I said OK, I fix your wagon and made it with 100% smoked malt.  It wasn't bad but too smoky for my friends and the judges said "maybe just a bit less smoke" and gave me a bronze medal.  Go figure!

Moral to the story, brew it to taste.  I am going to use about 35-40% the next time I make it and should be fine.  Also remember the amount of smokiness in the malt can change from year to year as well so you have to play around with it.

lol, so it sounds like ~75-80% is a good range?

i know you have a fair bit of experience with smoked malt. i'll probably go for around 75% smoked malt in my rauchbier, 20% munich, 5% crystal and/or colourant malt

Offline NNVbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 08:14:48 am »
Update: I kegged the beer last night and it has mellowed a bit. It still has a strong smoke flavor but doesn't seem hit as hard. I like it but would consider knocking the smoked malt back to 1 pound. It tastes good but the smoke overwhelms the other flavors I like in a porter. I will post another update after a couple of weeks of keg aging.

Offline NNVbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 09:04:54 am »
Update: After sitting in the keezer for a couple of months it has mellowed out and is quite good. Not much left after repeated sampling. For my taste I think I would still knock the smoked malt back to one pound. I will try it again this winter and start a new thread. I am also contemplating a smoked serrano pale ale!!!