Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Märzen  (Read 11203 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: American Märzen
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2021, 08:34:13 pm »
The above article is interesting, and points out what is brewed in America no way resembles the German beer for Oktoberfest. With the US examples being sweet, caramel like beers. Yes, Boston Beer Company is probably to blame for this. Maybe not...unless you also blame Anheuser-Busch for Bud Light and the dumbing down of American beer consumers.

One time a Marzen beer was a personal favorite. But no longer! I have been ruined! Now a good Festbier is my choice. Almost impossible to find around here, with one notable exception. But there is no shortage of Marzen-Oktoberfest beers on the store shelf, right next to the Pumpkin Shandy.
It’s a shame you don’t have any access to good marzen that is American made. People’s opinions get skewed by that. I prefer festbier as well

Years ago Sammy Adams was my "go to" Oktoberfest beer. Bought many kegs of it. Many of the mainstream craft brewers have Marzen beers here.
My taste has changed, being heavily influenced by the German and Czech beers. Plus brewing our own beer makes it easy to get what is desired...unless an error is made in the brewing recipe!

Yes, a good Festbier is hard to beat!
Sam Adams is a horrible example. It’s a shame you don’t have access to good American made marzen.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2021, 09:01:50 pm »
The above article is interesting, and points out what is brewed in America no way resembles the German beer for Oktoberfest. With the US examples being sweet, caramel like beers. Yes, Boston Beer Company is probably to blame for this. Maybe not...unless you also blame Anheuser-Busch for Bud Light and the dumbing down of American beer consumers.

One time a Marzen beer was a personal favorite. But no longer! I have been ruined! Now a good Festbier is my choice. Almost impossible to find around here, with one notable exception. But there is no shortage of Marzen-Oktoberfest beers on the store shelf, right next to the Pumpkin Shandy.
It’s a shame you don’t have any access to good marzen that is American made. People’s opinions get skewed by that. I prefer festbier as well

Years ago Sammy Adams was my "go to" Oktoberfest beer. Bought many kegs of it. Many of the mainstream craft brewers have Marzen beers here.
My taste has changed, being heavily influenced by the German and Czech beers. Plus brewing our own beer makes it easy to get what is desired...unless an error is made in the brewing recipe!

Sam Adams is a horrible example. It’s a shame you don’t have access to good American made marzen.

Maybe you could point out some that you like? I will see if they are available in North Texas. Yes, stopped drinking Sammy's O-Fest some time ago!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2021, 09:31:29 pm »

Maybe you could point out some that you like? I will see if they are available in North Texas. Yes, stopped drinking Sammy's O-Fest some time ago!
Does Odell distribute to Texas? I feel like it’s a good one but I would like to hear others opinions. Most of the examples that I like and can think of are local in Colorado which is my main point about availability.

I think Americans need to do away with the term Oktoberfest. It means too many different things to too many people…
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:35:23 pm by Iliff Ave »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2021, 06:15:50 am »
Yes, found it at a number of local retailers. We will make a beer run this morning! Thanks for the tip.

You are correct, Oktoberfest has too broad a meaning. It is all encompassing of Marzen, Festbier, and probably other seasonal brews that are caramel like and sweet.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2021, 06:17:21 am »
Yes, found it at a number of local retailers. We will make a beer run this morning! Thanks for the tip.

You are correct, Oktoberfest has too broad a meaning. It is all encompassing of Marzen, Festbier, and probably other seasonal brews that are caramel like and sweet.
Ha! Hopefully you don’t hate it. I’ll probably make a fool of myself here…
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 06:32:04 am by Iliff Ave »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2021, 07:08:19 am »

Ha! Hopefully you don’t hate it. I’ll probably make a fool of myself here…

No worries! There are three kinds of beer...good, better, and best! I'm sure we will enjoy it.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2021, 03:00:17 pm »
My local tavern put the Oktoberfest on tap this weekend from the brewery next store. It's every bit as bad as earlier described in this thread - dark, roasty and way too sweet. Which is too bad, as this brewery makes a spot on Bavarian pilsner.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2021, 11:27:51 am »

I think Americans need to do away with the term Oktoberfest. It means too many different things to too many people…
[/quote]

Don't get me started on the misuse of style names. All the American breweries that have called their American Wheat beers Hefeweizens are clueless, and in the process have confused countless numbers of beer drinkers for decades.
It makes me crazy when I serve someone a Hefeweizen and they say "that's not a Hefeweizen, it tastes like banana and cloves." Thanks Widmer Bros., thanks a lot.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2021, 11:46:18 am »
Two real good ones here:

Weihenstephaner FESTBIER - 5.8% ABV. Very good, light, similar to their Premium Pils.

Hacker-Pschorr ORIGINAL FESTBEER Oktoberfest Marzen - 5.8% ABV. Another real good beer. Easy to drink. Not sweet. Not caramel bock like.