Author Topic: ScallyWag: long-time reader, first-time poster  (Read 340 times)

Offline ScallyWag

• Cellarman
ScallyWag: long-time reader, first-time poster
« on: September 16, 2021, 05:06:38 pm »
I have been reading this forum for about a year, but I never started posting until today.  So I already feel like I know many of you from having read your posts for so long...

I've only been brewing for about a year, with fewer than 20 brews so far.  I do BIAB, and my batches are generally 2.5 to 3.5 gallons (occasionally 4.4 gallons), mashed in a 5-gallon igloo.  I enjoy experimenting with split batches so that I can compare recipes with different yeast combinations &/or dry hops combos post-primary.

My favorite styles tend to be maltier, roastier, heftier.  My favorite malt is Munich, and especially Mecca Grade's Metolius.  I don't understand the love of Pilsners; I've tried dozens, and still occasionally try new ones, but I just don't get it.  Kind of like Pinot Grigio - why bother?  I'd rather just drink water.  That said, I didn't like IPAs at first either, so perhaps eventually I'll find a pilsner that I don't hate.

So far I've only made ales, but if my basement can get cool enough next winter I will try lagering.

I have always been more of a wine-guy, and all my life I thought I didn't really like beer (growing up only famiilar with mass-produced pisswater) until about 12 years ago when my brother had me try some craft brew Stouts & Porters.  I am still admittedly a novice when it comes to beer styles (and I still prefer wine to beer, mostly) but have learned to appreciate the many quality beers out there and now know how to find them more easily.

About a year ago, my daughter gave me a Mr.Beer kit, and got me hooked.  I only did one pre-hopped LME kit before moving on to BIAB, but I still use the Mr.Beer LBK as a FV.  I occasionally augment my all-grain recipes with some DME in my higher gravity beers.

Vocationally, I'm a data analyst (statistician), for research science orgs & think tanks, currently as a consultant / subcontractor.  Burned out but not quite old enough [or rich enough] to retire, so exploring a career change.

Yankee living in the south (near Atlanta) for a dozen years.  The south is just weird.

Hobbies include wilderness backpacking, whitewater canoeing/kayaking, track & field, and distance running.  All of which deplete calories, so they make me need to drink more beer.  Fortunately, now I have that covered too.

That's my dog in my profile image, and he is without a doubt THE. BEST. DOG. EVER!  Seriously...  no other dog even comes close, so don't even try.  He is such a good boy.  :-)  Oh, and I'm also married, w/ grown kids, 4 grandkids.

Thanks to all of you whom I have been reading for a year, you have no idea how much I have learned from all y'all.  It is really thanks to youse guys that I have made some pretty amazing beers (IMHO).  Hopefully I can give back a little bit too. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:58:00 pm by ScallyWag »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: ScallyWag: long-time reader, first-time poster
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 05:44:07 pm »
Hi and welcome!

I have no doubt you have almost the best dog ever!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 10:23:17 pm »
My favorite styles tend to be maltier, roastier, heftier.  My favorite malt is Munich, and especially Mecca Grade's Metolius.
I'm on the same page with you there. I love Munich malt, especially Metolius. I remember going to a party once (several years ago, long before COVID) where I had put several beers out for consumption. I overheard someone telling another guest about the lightest colored beer that I brought: "It's a dark beer." I felt like grabbing the Russian Imperial Stout and saying "No, THIS is a dark beer. That one is amber." but I just bit my tongue. Compared to Bud Light it was a dark beer.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline purduekenn

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 12:14:38 am »
Hi and glad you are on the Forum.  I like Mecca malt a lot too! Good luck on your brewing journey and have fun!

Offline Fire Rooster

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 10:43:02 am »
Welcome

I live in the North East, started with a Mr Beer kit also. Gift from daughter about 3 years ago.
Progressed to LME, DME, and now all grain which I love.  Haven't gone to crushing my own grain, yet.
This site is a fountain of knowledge, beware of false prophets  :)
Until 3 years ago I was a wine guy also for many years. Retired, married, one daughter, 2 grand-kids.
Profile image fire, I was born DEC 1957. Chinese Zodiac, 1957 was the year of the ROOSTER.  DEC that
year the element was FIRE.  Currently checking out Mecca Grade, and River Bend malts.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 06:35:02 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 11:41:00 pm »
Pilsner is one of the most difficult beers to make correctly.  In fact, the lighter the beer in color, the harder it is to hide brewing sins.