Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First one down, thoughts on second  (Read 4175 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: First one down, thoughts on second
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 08:50:43 pm »
US-05 would increase the attenuation by about 10%, thus increasing the ABV by about 1%.  An 8% ABV beer would be stronger than intended.  If you do this, decrease the DME by about 0.5 lb.

OK, that may be easy as one of the dme packets is 1/2 pound.  Can I do that?  Or do I have to figure out an amount for both that adds up to 1/2 pound?  Sorry for the stupid questions, but I am really trying to learn as much as I can.  I want to try and stay away from kits, because eventually, I want to get into trying new stuff and different combinations.  But I feel I need a good base first. 

Thanks again for all the info, i really appreciate it.  RR

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 09:45:16 pm »
Yeah, just skip that extra 1/2 pound of light DME, that's easiest.  It won't make a detectable difference in flavor.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 03:09:57 am »
Yeah, just skip that extra 1/2 pound of light DME, that's easiest.  It won't make a detectable difference in flavor.

Awesome.  Thanks.  I might just go with it and see.  I have had 8 percent before, if the flavors arent that bad then what the heck.  LOL.  I just read Pliny the Elder is an 8 percenter.  It will be a game time decision unless I read something here that really hits me not too. 

Thank you again for all your help.  I am really grateful.  RR

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 09:30:53 am »
As I start to get all my stuff out and ready, I realize that my stainless steel pot is only 5 gallons.  Your instructions say to heat up 6 gallons. but would it be ok to just fill it to about 4 gallons to do the brewing and top it off when I move it to the fermenter? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 10:55:12 am »
As I start to get all my stuff out and ready, I realize that my stainless steel pot is only 5 gallons.  Your instructions say to heat up 6 gallons. but would it be ok to just fill it to about 4 gallons to do the brewing and top it off when I move it to the fermenter?

I wouldn't even fill it that full.  3 gal. is gonna pretty much max you out once you start boiling.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 02:11:26 pm »
The process has started.  Man those hops are fragrant.  LOL. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2021, 04:25:23 pm »
Well, for better or for worse, I jacked it up.  I added a full pound of each of the grains instead of just 10oz.  My hope is that it won't make a huge difference, but I guess we will see.  Currently waiting for the wort to cool and will put it in the fermenter to sit for a few.  My hope is that it is at least drinkable, but I guess time will tell. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 08:50:03 am »
It's still bubbling along.  Any input on my screw up?  I hope that the extra grain doesn't mess things up. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 08:57:17 am »
Well, for better or for worse, I jacked it up.  I added a full pound of each of the grains instead of just 10oz.  My hope is that it won't make a huge difference, but I guess we will see.  Currently waiting for the wort to cool and will put it in the fermenter to sit for a few.  My hope is that it is at least drinkable, but I guess time will tell.
Depends on your total volume. 16 oz vs 10 oz in a 10 gal batch is negligible. 16 oz vs 10 oz in a 2 gal batch is a horse of a different color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 11:49:21 pm »
Depends on your total volume. 16 oz vs 10 oz in a 10 gal batch is negligible. 16 oz vs 10 oz in a 2 gal batch is a horse of a different color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about in a 5 gallon batch?  LOL.  I am going to finish the process and see what I get.  What the heck, that's the fun part of all this, right? 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 09:01:52 am »
OK, so this is day 4.  I am still seeing bubbles, and it looks like there is still a layer of something on the top.  I might wait one more day before I dump the dry hops in.  Input from the crowd?  I did the brew Saturday afternoon, so it is not quite 4 days yet, I am just anxious to get it going  LOL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 09:08:02 am »
OK, so this is day 4.  I am still seeing bubbles, and it looks like there is still a layer of something on the top.  I might wait one more day before I dump the dry hops in.  Input from the crowd?  I did the brew Saturday afternoon, so it is not quite 4 days yet, I am just anxious to get it going  LOL

Get a gravity reading
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 11:57:14 am »

hey there, the toughest thing about homebrewing is not rushing it imho. especially for a new brewer. dry hopping doesn't take too long, though im no expert on it. if you don't have temp control, i would just add the dry hops 7 days before you plan to bottle/keg/secondary it. so ideally give it 3 weeks before dry hopping it  for a total of a good 4 weeks.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 12:44:09 pm »
I agree with Denny.  Gravity should be measured to know where you are at and where you can reasonably expect to end up.  Gravity held steady for 3-4 days means the beer is done.  If you want to dry hop while some activity is present, it will likely be over the next few days, but checking where it is at right now would help on that guess.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 06:52:20 pm »
Thanks for all the replies and input.  Gravity right now is at 1.048 as best as I can tell.  I will check it again tomorrow morning, but the bubbling has slowed coniderably, so it might be time.  I am hoping to get a couple of hop bags if I can before, maybe saturday if it can wait that long.