Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dark Lagers  (Read 1055 times)

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
Dark Lagers
« on: September 21, 2021, 05:50:35 pm »
For the Lager obsessed crowd out there, here's a book recommendation.

Dark Lagers by Thomas Kraus-Weyermann and Horst Dornbusch.

Absolutely fantastic book on the history, mystery, brewing techniques, and recipes of this ancient and underappreciated slice of the lager pie.

If you're anything like me, and still love reading about brewing and the culture that brought it forth, and keeps it going, buy this book. I doubt that you'll be disappointed.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Dark Lagers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 06:23:41 am »
Sounds like an interesting read. What do they qualify as a dark lager, because this seems like it could be pretty arbitrary. Do they consider Dunkel a dark lager? Märzen?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 06:47:46 am »
For the Lager obsessed crowd out there, here's a book recommendation.

Dark Lagers by Thomas Kraus-Weyermann and Horst Dornbusch.

Absolutely fantastic book on the history, mystery, brewing techniques, and recipes of this ancient and underappreciated slice of the lager pie.

If you're anything like me, and still love reading about brewing and the culture that brought it forth, and keeps it going, buy this book. I doubt that you'll be disappointed.

looked at the summary of it, yeah its interesting but lagers would have been darker beers for a long period of time. i think i read that about nurnberg is the origin of brewing with lager yeast

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 07:29:23 am »
I'll add that to the list. Absolutely love beer history. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 08:23:53 am »
Yes, thank you.  I make a lot of dark lagers and knowing some history would make it even better.  I have a "Mexican Dark Lager" on tap right now.  Not necessarily Negra Modelo but in the spirit of it.  I also make bocks and dunkels regularly.  Here's a snip:

Dark Lagers addresses both historical and technical brewing topics with a balance of science and wit. First, the authors tell the story of lagers, which begins in or around the sixteenth century and has many subplots in terms of history, politics, climate, and microbiology. Until now, many aspects of the story have never been told in a definitive or authoritative publication. Then, the authors share 40-plus recipes for dark lagers of three general types: classic, craft, and innovative. They test-brewed about half of the recipes in the pilot brewery of the Weyermann® malting plant in Bamberg, Germany, and the other half in different-sized breweries in the United States and Canada.

And here's a link:  https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Lagers-History-Mystery-Techniques/dp/0978772687/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dark+lagers+book&qid=1632320516&sr=8-2

I'll probably order it. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 07:13:23 pm »
Sounds like an interesting read. What do they qualify as a dark lager, because this seems like it could be pretty arbitrary. Do they consider Dunkel a dark lager? Märzen?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Dark lagers are considered to be; Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Bohemian Dark Lager, Dunkelbock, Dunkeldoppelbock, Rauchbier, and Kellerbier (which is odd because it can also be pale).