Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation seems stuck.  (Read 798 times)

Offline krush212an@hotmail.com

• 1st Kit
Fermentation seems stuck.
« on: September 22, 2021, 07:02:59 am »
Hi,
I tried to brew a chocolate oatmeal stout and it’s been 23 days since fermentation. The recipe said 14 days fermentation should be over. I tried to do temp controlled fermentation between 15-20deg C.
I have attached a picture of the krausen in the link.
Isn’t 23 days too long for the krausen to stay?
Is the process stuck? The batch doesn’t seem to be infected from the looks or smell of it.
What can i do to speed it up?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0N9zM0wfm_27QvGcBZlmQC-ww#Mumbai_Suburban_-_Andheri_West

Thanks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Fermentation seems stuck.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 07:30:38 am »
It depends a lot on the specific yeast strain that you used.  Do you recall which yeast it was specifically?  Several yeasts are stubborn to fall back in.

In any case, you should be able to get the krausen to fall back in, and re-start fermentation sometimes, just by swirling the fermenter.  Try that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 09:44:47 am »
Just because there's krausen doesn't mean it's still fermenting.  You need to take a gravity reading.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 10:00:29 am »
Just because there's krausen doesn't mean it's still fermenting.  You need to take a gravity reading.

Also very true.  I was going to say something about this... but then somehow forgot.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.