Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Frozen Hops  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
Frozen Hops
« on: September 25, 2021, 01:13:38 pm »
I've recently been offered  a bunch of frozen, vacuum sealed hops.  I doubt  they've been dried. Anyone brewed with "green" frozen hops? Pointers?
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Frozen Hops
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 01:19:21 pm »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 01:32:55 pm »
I'd pass.  Yakima Chief has started selling frozen "wet" hops, but they freeze them with liquid nitrogen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 07:30:57 am »
I've brewed a SMASH lager with the Blue Lake Process fresh hops-it was fantastic. Used it like any other fresh hop-mostly late in the boil/whirlpool and dry hop.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 08:13:58 am »
I would be cautiously optimistic. Would be a shame to pass up free ingredients, though.

Depending on how it's prepped I'd assume that freezing could be brutal to the resins. Frozen green beans turn out just fine but I'm not worried about their aromatics.

Only one way to find out for sure. I hope it works out.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 10:39:09 am »
Currently fermenting a witbier where I used the Blue Lake crystal hops in late boil addition. Smelled great going into the fermenter.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Fire Rooster

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 12:52:30 pm »
I've brewed a SMASH lager with the Blue Lake Process fresh hops-it was fantastic. Used it like any other fresh hop-mostly late in the boil/whirlpool and dry hop.

Never heard of them, thanks !

https://bluelakehops.com/

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 06:47:06 pm »

Thanks for the link. I keep hearing great things about Michigan Chinook, so I'm quite interested in those. I just have to find the freezer space to hide a kilo of hops from the wife...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 08:56:49 pm »
I've heard of people freezing their own fresh hops because they don't have the ability to dry that volume or simply don't want to deal with it. Seems like the results have been decent. If they were vacuum sealed and frozen immediately I would give them a whirl if free. When you open them if they smell bad then send them to the compost. No loss for you.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 08:40:08 am »

Thanks for the link. I keep hearing great things about Michigan Chinook, so I'm quite interested in those. I just have to find the freezer space to hide a kilo of hops from the wife...

For Michigan Chinook, check Michigan Hop Alliance. They just completed harvest.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 12:15:39 pm »

My freezer space is limited also.
When time comes, I'll order right before I'm ready to brew.
I might use the leftovers to make a hop necklace for the wife  :D

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 03:34:30 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback! I took them and will let you know what happens.
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 11:35:21 am »

Thanks for the tip! They're not selling 1-pound quantities right now, just 11lb bags of pellets. That would probably be even harder to hide than a kilo of cones...  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 01:20:30 pm »

Thanks for the tip! They're not selling 1-pound quantities right now, just 11lb bags of pellets. That would probably be even harder to hide than a kilo of cones...  ;D

Just talked to Brian at MI Hop Alliance.  They will have 1 pounders available by Mon., maybe as soon as tomorrow.

www.dennybrew.com