Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Dough - Pizza  (Read 7642 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer Dough - Pizza
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 07:44:15 am »
Have you guys heard of whole wheat pizza dough?  I've never had one but was wondering if it was possible, If so any ideas on how?

Swap one flour for the other? I won't do more than 50/50, it gets hard to stretch and doesn't rise quite so nice. Think about a real whole wheat loaf and how dense it is vs a light fluffy italian bread. The same kinda happens with your crust. It's still good, just different.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 08:20:20 am »
Have you guys heard of whole wheat pizza dough?  I've never had one but was wondering if it was possible, If so any ideas on how?

Swap one flour for the other? I won't do more than 50/50, it gets hard to stretch and doesn't rise quite so nice. Think about a real whole wheat loaf and how dense it is vs a light fluffy italian bread. The same kinda happens with your crust. It's still good, just different.

Thanks....I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, I have flour here at home but when I go to the grocery store am I looking for whole wheat flour, does such a thing exist?
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 08:25:46 am »
http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/gold-medal-flour/products/whole-wheat-flour

Yes...it does exist.  I also love sour dough pizza crust...just not sure how it would be with the beer recipe.  Maybe a lambic :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 08:32:03 am »
King Arthur is a great flour if you're looking for a brand recommendation. I grind my own, it's more coarse and produces more rustic looking breads.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:40:03 am »
+1 to the 50/50 Whole Wheat/Bread flour crust.

Thats what is pictured in my previous posts
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 10:02:57 am »
Look for '00' flour; classic for pizzas.  Do a cold rise on your dough; takes several days but gives it way more flavor.

I'm originally from NY, so I'm picky about pizzas. Which is sad, because you should see what passes for pizza in Ohio.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 05:08:53 pm »
Ohio? Jeeze, try getting a decent pizza in the Adirondacks (I was just there on vacation). It is by far the worst I've ever had.

Now I have yet another reason to get a wood stove soon.

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 04:39:00 pm »
Shhhh. Here's a secret. Don't tell 'em or they'll all be doing it.  Substitute 1/2 cup of DME for a 1/2 cup of flour. That'll give you maltiness and crispness. You can also take a tablespoon of DME when you're proofing the yeast instead of sugar. Using darker DME will give you a darker crust. Crunch on that!
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 08:01:19 pm »
Look for '00' flour; classic for pizzas.  Do a cold rise on your dough; takes several days but gives it way more flavor.

I'm originally from NY, so I'm picky about pizzas. Which is sad, because you should see what passes for pizza in Ohio.

Is a "cold rise" simply placing the kneaded dough in the fridge? 

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 09:21:06 pm »
Is a "cold rise" simply placing the kneaded dough in the fridge?  

Pretty much.  It doesn't have to be as cold as a fridge (which should be less than 40F but more than 32F), but it's OK if it is.  I usually stick it in my walk-in, which is set around 48F, or in my garage during winter.  If it takes a couple of days to double in size, then the temperature is about right.  It's not a precise process; you just want to slow down the yeast metabolism.

If you want to see someone who has really over-analyzed the whole thing, check out http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong