Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Special X malt  (Read 858 times)

Offline samaral

• 1st Kit
Special X malt
« on: September 26, 2021, 10:28:19 am »
Anyone have any experience with this malt. I was thinking of using it in a brown ale.

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
Re: Special X malt
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 10:43:30 am »
I used a lb in my latest NEIPA. It seems to sit between Munich malt and aromatic malt. It is toasty and noticeable even at 1 lb.

I’d use it again in any beer that would benefit from the Munich malt. It should add some complexity to a brown ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline samaral

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 12:25:53 pm »
I used a lb in my latest NEIPA. It seems to sit between Munich malt and aromatic malt. It is toasty and noticeable even at 1 lb.

I’d use it again in any beer that would benefit from the Munich malt. It should add some complexity to a brown ale.

Are you thinking of Red X?  Special X is in the 150 L range

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 08:11:51 am »
I never heard of this malt until now. As a dark caramel malt, it seems that it would be appropriate in a brown ale. Let us know how it works out.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 08:22:24 am »

Can I coin the term "flavor efficiency?" Getting maximum result from minimum ingredients. I like that.

Also, I find the name simultaneously awesome AND stupid. I know there's a bit of marketing involved with trademarked malt blends/ roastings but the name doesn't give you any information about where the malt falls on the color and flavor spectrum.

Suppose they've run out of words for "kinda' brown."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 09:15:20 am »

Can I coin the term "flavor efficiency?" Getting maximum result from minimum ingredients. I like that.

Also, I find the name simultaneously awesome AND stupid. I know there's a bit of marketing involved with trademarked malt blends/ roastings but the name doesn't give you any information about where the malt falls on the color and flavor spectrum.

Suppose they've run out of words for "kinda' brown."

No less descriptive than "Munich" or "carapils"
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 07:27:19 pm »

Are you thinking of Red X?  Special X is in the 150 L range

Yes… thanks for that clarification. I was commenting on Red X. Sorry for that confusion.