Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using a desert wine as an adjunct  (Read 709 times)

Offline Dragonflylady

• 1st Kit
Using a desert wine as an adjunct
« on: September 27, 2021, 11:43:53 am »
I have some apricot wine that is a bit too sweet for my taste. Wondering if anyone has added wine to a beer recipe post initial fermentation?  Any ideas/recipes appreciated.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Using a desert wine as an adjunct
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 12:47:53 pm »
If you add it after primary, then the residual sugars will kick off a secondary fermentation. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind if you were expecting to keep the sweetness.

This sounds like it would be good in a wit (akin to Magic Hat #9). It would also work in a blond ale, american wheat, or saison. Heck, you could probably even use it in a NEIPA.

I haven't used a finished wine in my beer, but I have used Gewurztraminer must in a saison and it was easily one of the top 3 beers I've ever made. I have heard of others adding bottles of wine to their beer with good results as well. I say go for it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Dragonflylady

• 1st Kit
Re: Using a desert wine as an adjunct
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 08:52:34 am »
Thanks. I was thinking of a saison or possibly an IPA with the "apricot" instead of a mango or citrus (which seems to be big here in Calif). Was not sure about a strong stout- winter is coming. I was wanting to try and retain more of the aromas and hoped by putting the wine in after the primary, the intensity of the second fermentation would be less and the apricot would be apparent.