Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Clearing Time?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Beer Clearing Time?
« on: September 28, 2021, 12:16:09 pm »
It has been my experience that a darker beer, like a Porter or Schwarzbier, seems to clarify on it’s own, much faster than a light Pils or a light Pale Ale.

Is this your experience? Does the roasted grain have anything that would cause the beer to clear faster?

Just kegged a nice Schwartzbier, and it is nearly clear without adding any gelatin. And I always use gelatin!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:08:49 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Beer Clearing Time?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 12:20:31 pm »
It has been my experience that a darker beer, like a Porter or Schwartzbier, seems to clarify on it’s own, much faster than a light Pils or a light Pale Ale.

Is this your experience? Does the roasted grain have anything that would cause the beer to clear faster?

Just kegged a nice Schwartzbier, and it is nearly clear without adding any gelatin. And I always use gelatin!

Nope, not my experience. I haven't seen any correlation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 01:22:12 pm »
Not in my experience, but I do find that lack of clarity is often more noticeable in lighter colored beers.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 01:26:16 pm »
It has been my experience that a darker beer, like a Porter or Schwartzbier, seems to clarify on it’s own, much faster than a light Pils or a light Pale Ale.

I have had very similar experiences. I had initially thought it was that the darker beers covered up any haze, but it's definitely crystal clear more quickly on porters/stouts/etc. I wonder if it's some aspect of pH that might be affecting it? Or related to how it all interacts with my particular water (pretty mineralized SoCal water)...
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 02:17:37 pm »
Not in my experience, but I do find that lack of clarity is often more noticeable in lighter colored beers.

This. 
I can't really tell how clear (or not) my Stouts and Porters are, and probably because of that, I don't really care how clear they are.  Maybe I should pay more attention?  But when I pour them into a pint glass, they just look black or dark brown to me. 

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 02:22:42 pm »
I've definitely noticed that chill haze is less of an issue with darker beers, but other than that - no.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 05:08:15 pm »
I guess it is chill haze that I am mostly talking about. The beer is at 32 F, kegged it two days ago, and it is nearly crystal clear. Schwarzbier. Any light SRM beer that I do will normally require a fining agent (gelatin) to clarify. But none will be needed in this beer.
This beer was cold-crashed at 32 for 6 days before going in the keg. Maybe that helped.

Regardless of the beer type, dark Porter, or light Pils, I am obsessed with clarity. It is a sickness.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:11:04 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 05:02:22 am »
Should have mentioned that we use floating pick-up tubes in our kegs. This does have an impact on clarity! We can always tell when the keg is nearing the bottom, as the beer starts getting hazy. And I am not a fan of hazy beer!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Beer Clearing Time?
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 05:15:24 am »
I use a floating dip tube, Brewtan B, whirlflock, yeast that has a clarity characteristic, cold storage, and time. I carbonate while lager/conditioning and by the time it’s carbonated it’s usually clear. Generally a cpl weeks minimum but I’ve let them sit longer in the cold. First pour is hazy. Second and subsequent are clear.

I have used gelatin in the past and will again if i run into a stubborn beer. But generally, i get crystal clear beer without it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 05:26:39 am by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 10:54:57 am »
I use BTB, Whirlfloc, and pH adjustment (as necessary in mash and/or boil using salts and acid malt or salts and acid) during boil, a floating dip tube in the primary only and rely on a cold lagering for clarification on dispense from the serving keg.  The only time I don't have fairly clear beer is if I serve from the keg a bit too early (like under a week to ten days after racking from primary).  Usually after the first pint drawn from the lagering/serving keg, my beers are clear and good to go.  But, even when they aren't crystal clear, I don't sweat it anymore.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"