Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: packaged beer tasting "worty"?  (Read 1480 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
packaged beer tasting "worty"?
« on: September 27, 2021, 10:56:36 pm »
had somewhat high hopes for WLP550. its only been bottled a short time, and i admittedly rushed this beer (2.5 weeks from grain to bottling - i havent done that in a long time), but im surprised how worty and immature it tastes. by this i mean it tastes like unfermented wort, and the FG is 1.008 (82% Attn), its definitely finished.

hopefully time will fix it. but any thoughts on the why?

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
Re: packaged beer tasting "worty"?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 08:51:34 am »
I'd go with instrumentation failure/ inaccuracy.

Assuming that the grain bill didn't include a bunch of non-fermentable sugars I'd be critical of the information your hydrometer/ refractometer is reporting.

Based on my limited knowledge of beer logic (wort gravity goes down, mouth feel thins out as fermentation progresses) this seems like an outlier. Traditionally those are due to something extraordinary and rare happening or an ordinary mistake in the math.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 10:32:17 am »

Assuming that the grain bill didn't include a bunch of non-fermentable sugars I'd be critical of the information your hydrometer/ refractometer is reporting.

Based on my limited knowledge of beer logic (wort gravity goes down, mouth feel thins out as fermentation progresses) this seems like an outlier. Traditionally those are due to something extraordinary and rare happening or an ordinary mistake in the math.

thanks, yes definitely my hydrometre is not working despite hitting the predicted OG based on grist dead on, using it dozens of beers over the past two years ive had it and also hitting predicted OG and FG on another beer within the past month.

the beer is quite dry to taste, and this is specifically a taste perception im reporting of wort, but id go with instrumentation failure. id go with that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 11:06:35 am »

thanks, yes definitely my hydrometre is not working despite hitting the predicted OG based on grist dead on, using it dozens of beers over the past two years ive had it and also hitting predicted OG and FG on another beer within the past month.

the beer is quite dry to taste, and this is specifically a taste perception im reporting of wort, but id go with instrumentation failure. id go with that.

I don't think I'd reach that conclusion without further testing
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 01:38:11 pm »

I don't think I'd reach that conclusion without further testing

? that my hydrometre is not working. well theyre bottled now. ill let you know when the bottle bombs happen. each gravity point gives 0.5 vols of CO2.

i've already bottled them aiming at around 1.8 vol CO2, so if i am off enough that my beer is not in fact beer, that it is literally not fully fermented enough that it tastes like wort (the cause being that it did not ferment somehow) all i would need is to have 6 more points (1.014 instead of my hydrometre read 1.008) of gravity to have full on gushers/bottle bombs.

ill post a pic of my hand after its been cut to ribbons by glass.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 02:21:15 pm »
Hope you don't get any bottle bombs and the beer tastes better after aging for a while.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 02:25:46 pm »
Maybe check your hydrometer with a few samples made with DME?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 04:00:14 pm »
Can you post the recipe?  I will admit right now that I am grabbing at straws but I have had some beers come out a little weird... completely fermented, beer is clear, the beer is not contaminated.  But there is a funny, wort-like and almost "dirty" flavor to it.  I am not really a hophead so some of my recipes call for just enough hops to properly balance the beer.  I had a few batches like this years ago and no real answer but within the last couple years I have put more emphasis on the freshest possible hops.  I believe that these batches I'm referring to used some older hops and the result were beers that fell on the side of MALT and not hops and the hops that were there were adding a sort of dirty character (and any other character you can think of that comes from stale, older hops) as opposed to a fresh, herbal, spicy character that they should.  Again, stabbing in the dark.  If I tasted your beer my conclusion might be something completely different.  Also, I don't consider 2½ weeks to be overly quick to go from grains to bottle... but I do consider it being overly quick to sample it. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 04:02:45 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 08:12:58 pm »
Put the beer aside (cold if you can) and come back to it in a few weeks. A lot of those "not quite done" flavors age out with time in my experience.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 08:29:22 pm »

Can you post the recipe?  I will admit right now that I am grabbing at straws but I have had some beers come out a little weird... completely fermented, beer is clear, the beer is not contaminated.  But there is a funny, wort-like and almost "dirty" flavor to it.  I am not really a hophead so some of my recipes call for just enough hops to properly balance the beer.  I had a few batches like this years ago and no real answer but within the last couple years I have put more emphasis on the freshest possible hops.  I believe that these batches I'm referring to used some older hops and the result were beers that fell on the side of MALT and not hops and the hops that were there were adding a sort of dirty character (and any other character you can think of that comes from stale, older hops) as opposed to a fresh, herbal, spicy character that they should.  Again, stabbing in the dark.  If I tasted your beer my conclusion might be something completely different.  Also, I don't consider 2½ weeks to be overly quick to go from grains to bottle... but I do consider it being overly quick to sample it.

Put the beer aside (cold if you can) and come back to it in a few weeks. A lot of those "not quite done" flavors age out with time in my experience.

it is somewhat premature i suppose. i feel like it should be ready for a proper tasting in 3 or 4 more days. just cant recall having this off-flavour before.

it is 3lb DME Wheat 1lb DME pilsen, 1/2lb dextrose to hit lower FG, with 1/6lb crystal 60 cold steeped. it actually has a 1/4lb hallertau hops for ~35IBU. OG 1.046 FG 1.008

it is obviously not a FG issue, but an off-flavour. just wondering if anyones had this before. it smelled pretty good early on in the carboy.