Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Long Cascade hops  (Read 4064 times)

Offline jmtopmiller

• 1st Kit
Re: Long Cascade hops
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 07:27:23 pm »
My (first year) hops were doing great (eastern PA) and then they turned brown as quick as could be.  Any ideas why?  I'm going to harvest this weekend what's left - maybe half of the crop. 

Can't figure out how to post pictures otherwise I'd show them when they looked good.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 07:52:11 pm »
My (first year) hops were doing great (eastern PA) and then they turned brown as quick as could be.  Any ideas why?  I'm going to harvest this weekend what's left - maybe half of the crop. 

Can't figure out how to post pictures otherwise I'd show them when they looked good.

Part of my Cascade bine did too.  I think the vine that actually fuels the browned hops has stopped supplying moisture and nutrients to the cones because it has dried up.  It's a moisture issue.
Ron Price

Offline jfin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 06:53:46 am »
two weeks ago I harvested and got several Willamette about that size

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 06:43:32 am »
I have no idea how long my cascades got this year as I had to say farewell to my hopyard when we moved at the end of July. 

:'(

However, in the past my Cascades have been fairly long as well.  I think last year my Chinooks were the longest and that was their first year.  IIRC they were similar to your photos.
Dave Brush