Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Narziss on Modern Brewhouses  (Read 1720 times)

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Narziss on Modern Brewhouses
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 04:05:25 pm »

I thought I saw that Brian (or someone else?) had a system built by Stout tanks that had ports for purging everything, but I could just as easily hook up CO2 (or nitrogen) to the barb at the bottom of my cooler.

I doubt that CO2 would convert much carbonate to bicarbonate at atmospheric pressure just by purging before dough in, but I'd definitely check the mash pH to see what the result was.

It's not carbonate to bicarbonate.
It's carbonic acid to bicarbonate.
Search for carbonic acid - carbonate equilibrium for details.
Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Carbonic acid would lower pH, how is that going to move the equilibrium towards more bicarbonate (pH 8.3)?  The only thing I can see oversaturation of carbonic acid doing is dissolving scale ( carbonate)

Carbonic acid will indeed lower pH. The equilibrium will indeed move towards more acid. The way it lowers pH is partially dissociating, 10-15%, into bicarbonate ion and hydrogen ion.

Back to my original point, I have no idea how much the CO2 bubbling would lower pH and how much bicarbonate will be added, so I would not consider this solution.
Sulfites are simpler.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 04:06:21 pm »
Talked to a commercial LoDo brewer today. He said he does a lot of in line Co2 to de-aerate and he uses Antioxin SBT and hits .2 ppm DO with standard top mounted grist case and hydrator. So i recon that answers my question.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 04:13:48 pm »
Talked to a commercial LoDo brewer today. He said he does a lot of in line Co2 to de-aerate and he uses Antioxin SBT and hits .2 ppm DO with standard top mounted grist case and hydrator. So i recon that answers my question.
Thanks for sharing!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2021, 07:58:12 am »
In-line de-aeration...how convenient. Thanks for sharing.

It really surprises me that Kai never mentioned, or picked up on, low o2 brewing from reading Narziss and Kunze back in the day. I know he used to reference those texts often.
Jesse