Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: *cringe* ... Pumpkin Spice Advice  (Read 2145 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
*cringe* ... Pumpkin Spice Advice
« on: September 29, 2021, 05:41:33 am »
I am decidedly NOT a pumpkin spice person -- with the proper exception of Pumpkin Pie. But I have been charged to come up with a couple sixtels of pumpkin spice beer for a Halloween Party.

The easiest (and only way) this is going to happen is for me to just add pumpkin spice to 2 kegs. These are fully carbbed beer and these will be sanke kegs so needs to be in an easy format (like an extract).

My options are: Nut Brown Ale, Scotch Ale and Fest Beer ... or even a Pils.

If anyone has a cheap hack or suggestion on the beer to f*ck up from the list above please offer it. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: *cringe* ... Pumpkin Spice Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 06:02:21 am »
Soak your spices in vodka overnight.  Then add the flavored vodka without spice solids to the keg.  As for amounts... meh.... less is more.  Figure out how much you think people would like, and then only use 1/4 as much.  Human beings, especially Americans, friggin overdo spices every damn time.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 07:37:43 am »
Soak your spices in vodka overnight.  Then add the flavored vodka without spice solids to the keg.  As for amounts... meh.... less is more.  Figure out how much you think people would like, and then only use 1/4 as much.  Human beings, especially Americans, friggin overdo spices every damn time.

yup, a lot of it is the power of persuasion. sweetness would probably enhance the feel of dessert or pumpkin beer. as long as its clearly labeled "pumpkin spice beer"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 08:07:19 am »
make a pumpkin pepper beer with chocolate
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 08:35:05 am »
I'd go for the nut brown.  Personally, I hate tincture.  I seem to always detect the heat from the vodka.  So maybe just use some of the beer to make them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 08:42:01 am »
One fun hack I saw a brewery do, is to "salt" the rim of the glasses with pumpkin pie spice.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 09:02:56 am »
I'd go for the nut brown.  Personally, I hate tincture.  I seem to always detect the heat from the vodka.  So maybe just use some of the beer to make them.

This is a good idea.  For my jalapeno porter, I no longer make a tincture but rather boil the chopped jalapenos in a quart of the finished fermented beer, cool, then add just the spiced beer back in again.  Works wonderfully, or so I've been told.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 09:24:42 am »

This is a good idea.  For my jalapeno porter, I no longer make a tincture but rather boil the chopped jalapenos in a quart of the finished fermented beer, cool, then add just the spiced beer back in again.  Works wonderfully, or so I've been told.
Sorry to go off topic. How many jalapenos do you use and how do you process them? I'm planning on doing something similar soon.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 09:42:52 am »

Probably don't even need to boil.  Just let it infuse for a couple days
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 12:21:31 pm »

Sorry to go off topic. How many jalapenos do you use and how do you process them? I'm planning on doing something similar soon.

2 jalapenos per gallon. I do not add them until the day I bottle or keg. Chop seeds and all, place into a pot, add enough of the finished beer to cover them, bring to a boil for like 10 minutes, cool and add the flavored beer back to the main batch, stir or swirl, package as normal. Easy and effective. And sometimes I split a batch to have some with and without jalapeño.
Dave

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 12:48:54 pm »

lol, my following post is getting unrelated now almost, but a good way to achieve a real house flavour could be to use a stock ale that is a ~10+ ABV ale, from which a small amount is added to each brew you make. keeping around a higher ABV plain stock ale would be useful for infusions desired as well rather than whiskey.

i had a commercial whiskey/oaked beer recently and it was just over the top on the whiskey flavour. tasted like a cocktail or something, not totally bad though.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 02:50:50 pm »
https://www.olivenation.com/search-results?search_query=pumpkin

I'm not a pumpkin beer fan.
Just a thought, I can't vouch for or against the link above.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 05:02:15 pm »
https://www.olivenation.com/search-results?search_query=pumpkin

I'm not a pumpkin beer fan.
Just a thought, I can't vouch for or against the link above.

I've used some Olive Nation stuff before. Also Amoretti. I will probably go that route. I was just thinking if someone had a tried and true extract or powder that uses such and such amount for 5 gallons ... I'm lazy!

Offline tommymorris

*cringe* ... Pumpkin Spice Advice
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 08:11:28 pm »
Um, is this the 10 step program where we start by admitting we like pumpkin beer?

Hi, my name is Tommy and I like pumpkin beer.

PS. I don’t brew it, but I buy a six pack every year and enjoy it. A few years ago a local bar had pumpkin beer on special in like January. I went back another day for more ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 08:13:38 pm by tommymorris »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 08:17:01 pm »
I can enjoy an occasional pumpkin beer.... as long as it has no pumpkin in it, and the spices are very mild and not:

You're welcome.   ;D
Dave