Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing 139 - Dark Side of the Kölsch  (Read 1229 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing 139 - Dark Side of the Kölsch
« on: September 30, 2021, 01:30:58 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-106-dark-side-k%C3%B6lsch

Collaborations are known for producing some wild ideas and Andrew Bell (Radiant) and Casey Harris (Topa Topa) came up with a doozy - a dark double dry hopped Kölsch that defies the odds and made something really interesting! Check it out!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Experimental Brewing 139 - Dark Side of the Kölsch
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 08:04:13 pm »
Everything about that is not a Koelsch. Why the heck does everyone feel the need to use that name? Is it just cool, will it give your crappy beer some status without actually having to brew a technically correct beer style?

On second thought, the heck with nomenclature. Lets just brew whatever and call it whatever. Double imperial stout helles. That sounds good too.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:15:08 pm by Bilsch »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 09:00:57 pm »
Everything about that is not a Koelsch. Why the heck does everyone feel the need to use that name? Is it just cool, will it give your crappy beer some status without actually having to brew a technically correct beer style?

On second thought, the heck with nomenclature. Lets just brew whatever and call it whatever. Double imperial stout helles. That sounds good too.
Yeah I was wondering that too. If I use kolsch yeast for everything can I just call it a kolsch? Doesn’t make any sense.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 09:07:48 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 11:07:04 pm »
Calling it a pale ale is so passé. However if you call it a Kölsch people will think you must really know what you’re doing, using a cool German name like that. And in the end isn’t that what’s most important?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 07:11:19 am »
Calling it a pale ale is so passé. However if you call it a Kölsch people will think you must really know what you’re doing, using a cool German name like that. And in the end isn’t that what’s most important?

A cool German name with an umlaut would be be perfect for this random beer. Hey, Kölsch!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 09:02:40 am »
I agree that it has nothing to do with kolsch.  That's why I wasn't in on it.  But if you listen they acknowledge it has nothing to do with kolsch. Many they chose to make that association is a mystery to me.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 09:04:42 am »

In a commercial situation, where you're trying to sell beer, yes.  This isn't the first beer with a misleading/out of context name and it won't be the last.  I don't care for the practice, either,but that's the way it is.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 09:07:28 am »
Sinamar and Midnight Wheat added to a Kolsch isn't hugely far flung (thinking Schwarzbier, for example....).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 10:02:15 am »
Sinamar and Midnight Wheat added to a Kolsch isn't hugely far flung (thinking Schwarzbier, for example....).

In a kolsch it's hugely far flung

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 10:16:44 am »
Sinimar is allowed in lagers such as Schwarzbier. Midnight Wheat is not. Kölsch is not a bottom fermented bier, so Whaet is allowed.

We don't  have the RHG, or the Kölsch Konvention, so here we are.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 04:45:19 pm »
Brewers like to use style as a tool for talking about beer.  Everyday beer consumers probably do not.  Commercial brewers are brewing for the latter.  I wonder how well this beer sold.

Not my favorite episode as I'm not a fan for reviewing recipes for commercial beers that I cannot get and will never have.  Not sure I'd order this beer to try either.  Whatever- podcast is free, Denny and Drew can and should do what they like.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 08:23:35 am »
Brewers like to use style as a tool for talking about beer.  Everyday beer consumers probably do not.  Commercial brewers are brewing for the latter.  I wonder how well this beer sold.

Not my favorite episode as I'm not a fan for reviewing recipes for commercial beers that I cannot get and will never have.  Not sure I'd order this beer to try either.  Whatever- podcast is free, Denny and Drew can and should do what they like.

Truthfully, from my point of view, I'd like us to focus solely on homebrewing and leave commercial brewing out completely. But I'm only half of the decision making process,  which is also driven by listener feedback.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 04:59:51 am »
I listened and enjoyed the collaborative discussion and what drove them to this particular recipe.  And, hey, brewing to piss off German Brewers seemed like fun for these guys.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 09:51:38 am »
+1 to being a crabby old fuddy-duddy.

Furthermore I think Koln should mandate that no one outside of the area may use the term Kolsch, in the same way that the Trappist monks have a trademark such that the rest of us are only supposed to call our beers abbey-style or whatever.

Not that any American ever gave a sh!t.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 12:14:26 pm »
I'm happy just to see a conversation happen - even with all the sturm und drang - because that's far more interesting to me. (also, sometimes I get really amused by folk's reactions - yes, including Denny's, although I try not to be too tweaky about things)

Here's why they referenced Kölsch in the beer name (which if you look at the can is labeled as a "DDH Hoppy Dark Lager ish Ale" - which to my tastebuds is a fair assessment)
  • Kolsch gravities and IBUs
  • base structure of malt, water kettle hopping, yeast, fermentation schedule is all Kolsch appropriate
  • And then they twisted away with the addition of Sinamar, Midnight wheat and an American style dry hopping

Also, I wanted to celebrate this sort of playful beer tomfoolery over the "we chucked a bunch of cake flavors in a beer and 200 lbs of dungeness crab before adding lactose and aging on barely drained tequila barrels" style of "innovation"
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison