Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck Keg - no beer coming out  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
Stuck Keg - no beer coming out
« on: September 30, 2021, 02:03:27 pm »
I have an IPA kegged, but beer won't come out of the picnic tap.  This is freshly kegged and when I went to try it the first time, pretty much nothing except a couple drips.  I suspect due to some trub that got in there.

I tried another picnic tap line and same thing, so it's not the line.

Anybody have this happen and have a good solution?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Stuck Keg - no beer coming out
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 02:34:28 pm »
My guess is that the poppet is clogged - some hop material, perhaps?  Depressurize and remove the liquid out post and inspect.  Be sure to sanitize before re-assembling.  Or it could be a frozen line - that sometimes happens.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:35:58 pm »
Take your black QD and attached your CO2 to it. Try blowing some CO2 in thru the out door.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 05:54:52 pm »
Take your black QD and attached your CO2 to it. Try blowing some CO2 in thru the out door.
This is a good first thing to try. It often works, and it’s easy and fast. It can also often solve the poppet problem that ynotbrusum correctly identified.
For a long term solution I suggest cutting an inch or so off the dip tube.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 09:08:18 am »
I'm in the remove the post camp. If I understand this correctly, if you blow CO2 into the keg, the clogging material is blown back into the keg. This material might come back and clog the post again.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 10:41:59 am »
My guess is that the poppet is clogged - some hop material, perhaps?  Depressurize and remove the liquid out post and inspect.  Be sure to sanitize before re-assembling.  Or it could be a frozen line - that sometimes happens.

most of the time this is what I find to be the problem, I also have had frozen lines but that is rare.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 10:43:11 am »

Since I have done this, I have had much fewer clogged posts.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 06:47:16 am »
This is a good first thing to try. It often works, and it’s easy and fast. It can also often solve the poppet problem that ynotbrusum correctly identified.

If you cut an inch off the dip tube do you leave more beer in the bottom of the keg when it kicks?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 08:41:46 am »

If you cut an inch off the dip tube do you leave more beer in the bottom of the keg when it kicks?
A little, most of what I see in mine is the remainder of the trub that settles out.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 09:27:57 am »
I am dealing with this now.  I dry hoped a IPA with whole hops and there was a lot of stuff floating around.  I bought a floating dip tube from Morebeer.  20 bucks and it seems to have helped.  I also had the line freeze last night.  I have it routed thru the freezer compartment and that might have caused problems.  I have not had the floating dip tube long, so I cannot give you much of a review, but it seems to be a pretty good idea.