Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning before new brew  (Read 641 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Cleaning before new brew
« on: October 03, 2021, 11:26:24 pm »
OK, so hopefully next weekend will be my second attempt at brewing.  I cleaned everything that I used the first time after use  and stored it all in a closet to hopefully keep it somewhat protected.  So, when I am ready to go, how would you all recommend I go about cleaning the bucket, airlock and all the stuff I need?  I have starsan and plan on doing at least that, but if there is more to be done during the boil to get ready I am all ears, or eyes in this case.  LOL.

Also, the keg beer line has been sitting unused for about 2 weeks.  Should I mix some PBW and run it thru the line, or will the starsan work when I am ready to go? 

Any input would be most appreciated. 

RR

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Cleaning before new brew
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 05:12:23 am »
As long as you have everything cleaned well and sanitize everything that comes in contact with the wort on the cold side you should be fine.

I would clean the beer line w/ PBW and then give it a soak in the starsan.  If you don't you will likely gets some off flavors from the line when you tap the next keg.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 06:40:19 am »
I would still do a light wash and rinse followed by Starsan. Remember, Starsan is not a cleaner it is a sanitizer and you can not sanitize what isn't first clean.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 03:42:44 pm »
If you clean everything adequately after a brew and store it covered or in a clean environment, then a quick rinse should be all you need on brew day, followed by StarSan just before use.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 09:20:14 pm »
Awesome, thanks guys.  I think it will be wise for me to at least clean out the beer line with the PBW.  I will mix up a batch, but it in the keg and run it thur the line followed by hot water to flush.  Then, on keg day, run the keg and the tap and line with some starsan and go with it.  Thanks to all who commented.  I am slowly learning how this all works.  RR