Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: yeast cake vs. multiple dry sachets of yeast  (Read 2060 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: yeast cake vs. multiple dry sachets of yeast
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2021, 07:40:19 am »
We use harvested yeast 90% of the time...Diamond Lager is the one most often used.
Brewing every two weeks keeps the yeast viable and healthy.
We have a couple examples of harvested yeast that are several months old. Might dump them.
As stated, we always over-pitch, even more so on a high ABV beer.

Can't remember the last time I actually opened up a package of dry yeast...

thanks dude, but lol i know what yeast you use.

be careful promoting over-pitching, sacch might hear you.

so  i'm still going with multiple sachets of dry yeast for very big beers (over 1.08) while am using harvested liquid for brews up to 1.07. there was an issue i believe with the particular grist i used last year, and that i didn't oxygenate it sufficiently. but i was traumatized by a low-hopped beer that ended at 1.032 or so last winter. it was a dumper. now im paranoid about attenuation

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 05:23:51 pm »
I use 1/2 gal. plastic containers with snap on lids.  I've kept and reused for 5 months, but I use some of it to make a new starter.

Denny is on the money. I have resurrected crops that were a year old (brewing yeast cultures are lot tougher than we think).  I recently switched over to using 500ml Corning 1396-500 square media bottles to store my crops. I previously used 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks for crops, which are a much more cost effective piece of labware.  I just grew tired of the stoppers and airlocks popping out or using aluminum foil to cap a flask.  I like using square media bottle when they get to be this size because they waste less shelf space in my dedicated brewing refrigerator.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2021, 07:26:01 pm »
I use 1/2 gal. plastic containers with snap on lids.  I've kept and reused for 5 months, but I use some of it to make a new starter.

(brewing yeast cultures are lot tougher than we think). 

some are. after googling a fair bit, ive decided im not going to be using WLP023 as i had planned, as multiple separate people complained that it basically died on them due to having a production date just a few months old. they all couldnt effectively get it to make a starter doing normal processes.

there are variations between the different yeast in terms of vigour and other factors that arent well detailed yet.

i would love to have suggested O2 requirement categories for yeast or even simply just a note like "this one needs heavy oxygenation".

as well as varied best-before dates.