Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mega pricing increase!  (Read 948 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Mega pricing increase!
« on: October 10, 2021, 11:35:09 am »
I am suffering from sticker shock! Just ordered two new 5 gallon Torpedo slim kegs, and the price is $110 each.
Before, these were $90. The kegs we purchased 18 months ago were $75, now $110.

On a related issue, Prime Rib Eye Steak at Costco is $20 / lb.

I may have to look for a job! Good news...everyone is hiring!!!

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Mega pricing increase!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 11:45:40 am »
I bought one at morebeer and it costs me 110. I went to pick it up and they were having a 20% off sale.  So I asked the kid if I could get the sale price. He hesitated but went with it.  I should have made  him credit me for the 150 bucks worth of stuff I bought the day before.  Lol. Nothing used in your area?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 01:05:10 pm »
I bought one at morebeer and it costs me 110. I went to pick it up and they were having a 20% off sale.  So I asked the kid if I could get the sale price. He hesitated but went with it.  I should have made  him credit me for the 150 bucks worth of stuff I bought the day before.  Lol. Nothing used in your area?

I could buy used, but my wife won’t let me!
We had 25 kegs before, sold the entire lot when I sold my brewery, about 12 to 15 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 01:20:45 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 02:40:24 pm »
A couple of years ago, pre-pandemic, I was telling people how I could get Viking malt from halfway across the world for much less than I could get malt from our local maltster, Admiral Maltings in Alameda, CA. British malts were in between. It was clear that the cost of shipping was negligible compared to the cost of labor, land, etc.

That is no longer true. Viking malts are still cheaper, but not dramatically so. The cost of Simpson's Golden Promise has shot way up, while Admiral Maltings has cut their prices and the two now cost the same ($10.99 for a 5 lb bag at MoreBeer). The supply chain issues we have heard about ad nauseum are affecting malt, too. I like buying from local maltsters, and now I don't have to justify paying a higher price to do so. Of course I will still use Golden Promise in British ales.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 03:47:25 pm by Richard »
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 07:30:17 pm »
It's called inflation. Prices are going up because the government is printing money to cover their excessive spending. This devalues the dollar and causes price increases. If you want to see a good example, you don't need to look any further than the grocery store. Don't expect things to get any better in the near future. Many retailers have been warning for several weeks that metal price increases are coming soon, which will cause metal product prices to go up. Beyond that, there's a shortage of truckers and ships are lined up waiting to enter ports. Not appropriate to get into politics here, so I won't get into  the root causes of this s*** show.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 08:01:03 pm »
Before the common approach was to maintain price and reduce package size. Wages haven't kept up with cost of living for a long time.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 09:30:39 pm »
It's called inflation...

No, Bob, this is not conventional inflation. The supply and transportation problems are worldwide and have nothing to do with our government's fiscal policies.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 10:00:49 pm »
It won't be long before this thread is shut down ...

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 06:18:55 am »
Probably just as well if it's shut down. When people who can't see the forest through the trees respond, it makes for a s*** show of a thread.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 06:21:51 am by Bob357 »
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 07:25:35 am »
Everything is costing more people. Either wait it out or cough up the cash.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 08:07:24 am »
Yep, prices started going up in early 2019 and have been on a trajectory path since. I had to stop building my deck because the cost of lumber tripled. There are lots of causes for inflation, the pandemic being a major cause.Supply chain demand another.

Please don't start this down a political path or it will get shut down.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 08:21:01 am »
Beef is up, not due to a shortage of steers, but due to problems in the processing plants.

Buy local, our little butch shop has not had the big price increases seen at Costco or Kroger, as they buy from farmers and process the beef themselves. Oh, their meat cases were never empty during the worst of the pandemic.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 08:31:04 am »
I think we're done here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell