Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand Abbaye dry yeast  (Read 20728 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Lallemand Abbaye dry yeast
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2017, 01:47:25 pm »
How is it?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Big Monk

Lallemand Abbaye dry yeast
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2017, 03:43:37 pm »
How is it?

I'm inclined to believe 2 things:

1.) This yeast likes wärmer fermentation temps (67-68 starting and finishing in the 70s) and

2.) I may have overpitched using the Lallemand numbers. At least that is how it tasted. It was a dumper.

I'm trying again with a Dark Strong Ale recipe, generally accepted homebrewer numbers for dry yeast and warmer temperature.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:45:16 pm by Big Monk »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 04:07:14 pm »
2.) I may have overpitched using the Lallemand numbers. At least that is how it tasted. It was a dumper.

:o  :o  :o  :o

Underpitch on purpose, man, I'm telling you... we all overpitch with dry yeast, man.

8)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 04:11:38 pm »
Bummer, too clean?

Did it kick out much sulphur during fermentation?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2017, 04:17:09 pm »

We'll see what he says but I'll bet it did.  Which would be a good thing, not a bad thing.  I figure, the more stanky aromas that come out of beer during fermentation, the less stanky stuff is left in the beer after packaging.  The inverse is true sometimes, for some strains -- the less, the more -- but more true for Belgians and Germans than for Americans, Brits, etc.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2017, 04:36:39 pm »
Bummer, too clean?

Earthy and phenolic from the low temps and major solvent from what I gather was a major overpitch.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2017, 05:17:41 pm »
Bummer, too clean?

Earthy and phenolic from the low temps and major solvent from what I gather was a major overpitch.

Oh!   :o  Total opposite from what I was thinking.  So perhaps temperature control really is critical with this one?  Hmm.  We'll have to play with it.  I'm going to get it to work, dammit.  Now I'll have to run several side-by-sides and not just a couple.  If/when I do, I'll share results.  Next month I think.
Dave

Big Monk

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2017, 05:31:57 pm »
Bummer, too clean?

Oh!   :o  Total opposite from what I was thinking.  So perhaps temperature control really is critical with this one?  Hmm.  We'll have to play with it.  I'm going to get it to work, dammit.  Now I'll have to run several side-by-sides and not just a couple.  If/when I do, I'll share results.  Next month I think.

The opposite I think. It needs to start warmer and free rise into the 70s. So no temp control at all.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2017, 09:45:46 pm »
Hmm.  I'll have to pull out BLAM again, been a while.
Dave

Big Monk

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 03:08:06 am »

If you take what Lallemand says at face value:

"Our Abbaye strain was originally sourced from one of the trappist/monastery breweries in Belgium and is comparable to WLP500, giving the stone fruit/estery notes at higher gravity and fermentation temps and more 'earthy' notes at lower temps. Personally, I find it really comes into its own on darker styles with richer flavour but is suitable for the classic Belgian styles."

This makes sense given what we know about Chimay. Starts at 68, finishes in the mid to high 70s.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:55:01 am by Big Monk »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 02:12:49 pm »

If you take what Lallemand says at face value:

This makes sense given what we know about Chimay. Starts at 68, finishes in the mid to high 70s.

Good notes Derek. Sorry for the dumper. At least it was a small batch and now you know how to tweak if for next time.

So, you think a smaller pitch AND start at 68F to free rise then?

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 03:12:12 pm »
Dang, a dumper.  Sorry to read that!  Is pitch rate really that well understood with expressive yeasts?  No need for cites but I think most of this in anecdotal? 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Big Monk

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 05:15:48 pm »
Dang, a dumper.  Sorry to read that!  Is pitch rate really that well understood with expressive yeasts?  No need for cites but I think most of this in anecdotal?

Pitch rates? Anecdotal? I don't think so.

Offline dwightr8

• 1st Kit
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2021, 06:10:42 pm »
I dare you to split a batch, and with the control batch, pitch the amount you're sure that you should, and with the other half, use 1/4 to 1/2 as much yeast, no aeration, no rehydration, just sprinkle on top.  Then compare results.  That's what I'm gonna do.

So, did you ever do it?  (I realize this an old thread but I just read all of it and it left me hanging at the end)

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2021, 04:28:04 am »
No I never did. Life got in the way or something.
Dave