Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP006 Bedford British  (Read 1622 times)

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: WLP006 Bedford British
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 11:45:03 am »
It is the dry yeast culture that I had on hand. Hopefully, it will finish the beer.  I do not know what it is, but I have reached my liquid yeast culture tolerance threshold.  I used to be able to rely on my own yeast bank for cultures, but that is an enormous amount of work for little gain.  I am still seeking dried cultures that are acceptable.  I sent two packages of the Verdant IPA to BrewBama earlier this year. Hopefully, he has input.

that's such a bummer man. too bad.
i see certain vault cultures that i want so badly, but feel like theres little chance i'll get it at any reasonable time.

i think many yeast companies need to re-evaluate which cultures they make regularly and which are "special" vault. i would love to get my hands on WLP037 for example.

Does White Labs still do seasonal releases, or are all the special release strains handled through the vault now?

WLP037 is one hell of a unique strain to deal with. It's flocs are so thick it makes WLP002 look like a lager strain by comparison. Fermentation looks like watching a lava lamp, and the yeast cake is a near-solid slab. The flavor profile is pretty unique, too.

lol wow, i didn't realize it was that extreme. i just really enjoy samuel smith beers, and i would love to give it a shot.

sam smiths seems to be imploding in the UK due to bizarre policies (no swearing, no cellphones etc in the pubs) and cheapo product choices. apparently theyve reduced the bottle size from 550ml to 350 or something and the price is the same.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 04:54:00 pm »
Well, the batch was just donated to my septic tank.  It was nasty.  That is my first dumper in a very long time.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 05:00:58 pm »

It is the dry yeast culture that I had on hand. Hopefully, it will finish the beer.  I do not know what it is, but I have reached my liquid yeast culture tolerance threshold.  I used to be able to rely on my own yeast bank for cultures, but that is an enormous amount of work for little gain.  I am still seeking dried cultures that are acceptable.  I sent two packages of the Verdant IPA to BrewBama earlier this year. Hopefully, he has input.

that's such a bummer man. too bad.
i see certain vault cultures that i want so badly, but feel like theres little chance i'll get it at any reasonable time.

i think many yeast companies need to re-evaluate which cultures they make regularly and which are "special" vault. i would love to get my hands on WLP037 for example.

Does White Labs still do seasonal releases, or are all the special release strains handled through the vault now?

WLP037 is one hell of a unique strain to deal with. It's flocs are so thick it makes WLP002 look like a lager strain by comparison. Fermentation looks like watching a lava lamp, and the yeast cake is a near-solid slab. The flavor profile is pretty unique, too.

lol wow, i didn't realize it was that extreme. i just really enjoy samuel smith beers, and i would love to give it a shot.

sam smiths seems to be imploding in the UK due to bizarre policies (no swearing, no cellphones etc in the pubs) and cheapo product choices. apparently theyve reduced the bottle size from 550ml to 350 or something and the price is the same.

That's a bummer to hear. Samuel Smith was my introduction to English beer many moons ago and their Oatmeal Stout is still one of my favorite beers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 05:03:50 pm »
Well, the batch was just donated to my septic tank.  It was nasty.  That is my first dumper in a very long time.
It happens and thankfully it was only 3 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm