Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain for a classic German Pils?  (Read 7772 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Grain for a classic German Pils?
« on: October 06, 2021, 06:45:54 am »
We want to brew a German Pils, Category 5D. Something close to a Bitburger. Crisp, slightly dry, well attenuated, with moderate to high hop bitterness.

We have used both Ireks Pils Malt, and Weyermann floor malted Bohemian Pils Malt.

What malts are recommended for this classic style? What has your experience been? Do you have a favorite malt?

This will be a single malt grain bill. A very simple beer, but a very difficult one to do well.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Grain for a classic German Pils?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 07:13:41 am »
Following.  I too would love to know which brands are people's favorites.  I almost always use Weyermann.... but I have not been able to successfully achieve "that German flavor" yet.  It does come close, but not exactly what I want yet.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 08:00:26 am »
My choice would be Bestmaltz.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 08:22:57 am »
Does anyone know what malts the German breweries use? That might be a good starting point.

It’s my understanding that it is not Weyermann, as they are primarily an exporter, not selling much in the domestic market.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:31:47 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 08:31:01 am »
My choice would be Bestmaltz.

Same here
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 08:31:23 am »
Does anyone know what malts the German breweries use? That might be a good starting point.

Many of them produce their own malt.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 10:20:03 am »

It’s my understanding that it is not Weyermann, as they are primarily an exporter, not selling much in the domestic market.

There are many German maltsters that we have never heard of. Only a few are imported. Weyerman isn't  in the top 10 by volume, but they make a high quality product and make most of the specialty malts in Germany.

As Denny says there are breweries that malt, but not all.

In response to the original question,  I would use Avangard or Durst for a Northern German Pils.

Edit - Weyerman sells a lot locally in Frankonia to small breweries that show up in the small van or station wagon.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:29:27 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 10:37:24 am »

There are many German maltsters that we have never heard of. Only a few are imported. Weyerman isn't  in the top 10 by volume, but they make a high quality product and make most of the specialty malts in Germany.

In response to the original question,  I would use Avangard or Durst for a Northern German Pils.

Edit - Weyerman sells a lot locally in Frankonia to small breweries that show up in the small van or station wagon.

Pay attention to Jeff.  He knows.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 10:39:56 am »
German brewers will buy locally.  I looked at Avangard, they have a malting in Koblenz, not too far from Bitburg.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 11:29:03 am »
German brewers will buy locally.  I looked at Avangard, they have a malting in Koblenz, not too far from Bitburg.
Avangard Pils malt is really nice.  It's one of the few malts I buy by the sack
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 12:36:35 pm »
Order placed -
55 lb bag Avangard Pils Malt.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 02:52:02 pm »

Pay attention to Jeff.  He knows.

Yes, I am paying attention!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 04:30:44 pm »

I had major problems with Avengard. I bought it in super sacks at Yellowhammer and maybe it was just bad luck but it was full of chaff and I didn't;t feel like the beer turned out very good. I switched back to Best as soon as I was through it and was very thankful that period was over. I literally had to go through an entire tracker trailer load of Avengard super sacks (2000 lbs each).

I like Wyermann too. The floor malted Wyermann is good but you definitely need to boil for 90 minutes because I got a lot of DMS from that malt.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 07:11:37 pm »

I had major problems with Avengard. I bought it in super sacks at Yellowhammer and maybe it was just bad luck but it was full of chaff and I didn't;t feel like the beer turned out very good. I switched back to Best as soon as I was through it and was very thankful that period was over. I literally had to go through an entire tracker trailer load of Avengard super sacks (2000 lbs each).

I like Wyermann too. The floor malted Wyermann is good but you definitely need to boil for 90 minutes because I got a lot of DMS from that malt.
I had a crap bag of Best Pils. It happens.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 08:12:30 pm »

I had a crap bag of Best Pils. It happens.

Had a 55 lb bag of Ireks, that was infested with weeds, and all sorts of odd plant debris. Took it back to the store, and it was replaced.