Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pbw brand new glass carboy?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
Pbw brand new glass carboy?
« on: October 06, 2021, 05:18:28 pm »
Hello everyone I'm wondering if you guys go through the process of pbw with brand new 5 gallon Italian glass carboys or just go straight to starsan?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Pbw brand new glass carboy?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 05:19:35 pm »
Never hurts to give it a good cleaning! Takes a few minutes and may save your beer. They say you cant sanitize whats not clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 05:31:51 pm »
Hello everyone I'm wondering if you guys go through the process of pbw with brand new 5 gallon Italian glass carboys or just go straight to starsan?

They say there’s two kinds of carboys: broken ones and those that will. Carboys will slice your arm, leg, or worse.  Use plastic or better yet, stainless.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 06:08:13 pm »
Personally, I would skip the cleaning and sanitizing of a new glass carboy, and instead travel back in time and not buy one in the first place. Using a glass carboy is like holding a bomb with a lit fuse.

If you must use it, it just needs a quick rinse before sanitizing. There is no crud in it since it's new, and so there is no need for soaking with a cleaner. They are very slippery when wet, especially when PBW is involved, so be extremely careful.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 07:10:54 pm »
PBW wouldn't hurt and then sanitize with Starsan. Be sure to get a good carboy carrier strap for safety.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 07:21:59 pm »
i have used glass for the first 5 years of my brewing, switched to some glass, some non-better bottle brand PET carboys, and am now using glass again.

i felt like i was getting oxidation in the PET carboys. they were widemouth type.

i should try better bottle again. everyone here says they work fine.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 07:36:45 pm »
PBW wouldn't hurt and then sanitize with Starsan. Be sure to get a good carboy carrier strap for safety.
I second the strap, a kettle with a valve is going to be your best friend when using carboys as well!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 08:46:17 am »
i have used glass for the first 5 years of my brewing, switched to some glass, some non-better bottle brand PET carboys, and am now using glass again.

i felt like i was getting oxidation in the PET carboys. they were widemouth type.

I think it might have been your imagination.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 10:47:03 am »

full truth, it might have been other factors or poor practices, as i was in korea at a time when virtually no one had heard of homebrewing there (now it's popular). i was scrounging various materials for equipment.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:06:42 pm by dbeechum »

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 04:37:48 pm »
Never hurts to give it a good cleaning! Takes a few minutes and may save your beer. They say you cant sanitize whats not clean

I have 7 coming and it's such a hassle

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 04:38:28 pm »

They say there’s two kinds of carboys: broken ones and those that will. Carboys will slice your arm, leg, or worse.  Use plastic or better yet, stainless.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can't age in plastic

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 04:40:14 pm »
Personally, I would skip the cleaning and sanitizing of a new glass carboy, and instead travel back in time and not buy one in the first place. Using a glass carboy is like holding a bomb with a lit fuse.

If you must use it, it just needs a quick rinse before sanitizing. There is no crud in it since it's new, and so there is no need for soaking with a cleaner. They are very slippery when wet, especially when PBW is involved, so be extremely careful.
I know that is why I want to skip the pbw, I have cut proof sleeve protectors and gloves I wear. You can't age in plastic I'm doing cider there is no other option

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 04:41:15 pm »

That is what I say, you can't age in plastic it is permeable you will get oxidation.

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 04:41:56 pm »

Nope they are permeable

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 04:43:36 pm »

I know that is why I want to skip the pbw, I have cut proof sleeve protectors and gloves I wear. You can't age in plastic I'm doing cider there is no other option

Use LBW.  There are options for aging besides glass and plastic.  And I have made MANY batches of cider using buckets or Genesis fermenters with no problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell