Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bucket Fermenter Airlock Suggestions  (Read 915 times)

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Bucket Fermenter Airlock Suggestions
« on: October 26, 2021, 06:15:02 am »
Hey y'all, so I had an issue with this Fermenter and that's being taken care of, so not worried about that. But I currently have this blow off set up and I don't get any noticable bubbling.

I disconnected it for a few minutes trying to see if maybe gas was escaping from the sides. I didn't think there was but it's possible. Well, when I reconnected the blow off and it bubbled like crazy. I'm wondering if my tubing might be too long and it's not building up enough pressure for audible bubbles... Or if there is a way to set up a traditional airlock on here.. hmm....

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Bucket Fermenter Airlock Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 08:51:30 am »
Is there a reason you want to see bubbles?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 08:55:55 am »
No, I just want to make sure the seal is good. I was having some issues before and I think it was a poor seal.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 09:00:01 am »
That it bubbled like crazy after you reconnected the hose shows that your fermenter is holding pressure. The length of tubing should have no effect as long as the tubing only has holes at the ends. I would look for slow leaks in the grey corny fitting and the seal on the outside of the post. Sometimes I forget to put in an o-ring when I assemble fittings, but mostly that's a problem with the black ones with black o-rigns.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 09:06:03 am »
That's an improvement then lol I was thinking it was good at that point but didn't consider the fitting. As long as it's working, that's what I want. These fermenters are relatively new to me. Had a couple off batches, so trying to work through it.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 10:00:38 am »
You can easily attach an airlock to the ball lock fitting. Slide a ~1-inch length of tubing over the end of it, then a small elbow (like the one at the link below), then another short piece of tubing, then the airlock. The airlock will be a slight angle but it will be stable and will be straight enough to not spill any liquid.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TSPID4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 10:41:25 am »
Makes me think a duotight fitting would be easier lol

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 11:29:24 am »
A small drilled bung that will fit into the tubing will work, also.  I clip mine to the handle of the fermented so the airlock remains upright and functional.  I so rarely do this, as I pressure ferment, typically, but I had a Dry Stout that I made a couple weekends ago and when fermentation was slowing, I installed the airlock in this manner.  The batch will be racked tonight, if time allows and the system will be lined up to another piece of tubing going to a CO2 purged cornie for filling with low O2 ingress in the system and a Co2 purged line to the ball valve for liquid to the keg...this works like a champ for a closed loop system.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 04:17:15 pm »
I totally forgot about my cold crash guardian. Just hooked it up and it's inflating, so