Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gravity Reading  (Read 803 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Gravity Reading
« on: February 27, 2023, 03:06:03 pm »
BGSA pressure fermenting @10psi & @74* OG 1.071(act.) FG 1.010 (est.) I took a SG reading 4 days into fermentation and it read 1.041, today (day 7) I took a reading and it displays 1.035 That's not much of a drop in gravity in my opinion. I am going to let the sample degas/go flat and recheck the reading.

I don't have a stuck fermentation but it is slower than I think it should be considering the fermentation temp. How much of an influence will carbonation have on read accuracy? Again I will wait until the sample goes flat to take another read. This is my first go at a pressure ferment with an ale yeast and I'm just not too sure what direction to look.

There might not be an issue at all and I just need to wait and see, but on the off chance it is slowing towards a stuck fermentation, what corrective action would I take?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Gravity Reading
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 03:15:03 pm »
None. Why correct a problem you nat not have? In BLAM, Stan mentions that the last 10% of a Belgian fermentation can take as long as the first 90%. What yeast did you use?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 03:31:11 pm »
Why are you measuring SG already?  Just leave it alone for a few weeks.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 04:10:18 pm »
None. Why correct a problem you nat not have? In BLAM, Stan mentions that the last 10% of a Belgian fermentation can take as long as the first 90%. What yeast did you use?

WLP570

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 04:42:18 pm »
Why are you measuring SG already?  Just leave it alone for a few weeks.

I normally use a tilt but the battery went south and only became aware on brew day. I agree and that's my usual MO but w/o the tilt and pressure fermenting an ale yeast for the first time I wanted to see the progression.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 05:13:01 pm »
#1 not all yeasts can be pressure fermented. Some Belgium yeasts don't even like airlocks.
#2 pressure fermentation inhibits yeast growth, so if you pressured at pitching, expect minimal growth and a delay in the fermentation process. Normal process is to start pressure at about Day 2; you can use formation of kräusen as a guide.

I would take the pressure off and see how it goes.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 06:32:22 pm »
#1 not all yeasts can be pressure fermented. Some Belgium yeasts don't even like airlocks.
#2 pressure fermentation inhibits yeast growth, so if you pressured at pitching, expect minimal growth and a delay in the fermentation process. Normal process is to start pressure at about Day 2; you can use formation of kräusen as a guide.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

Points taken, thanks. Pitched a healthy SNS starter, activity in about 18 hours. Started fermentation @ 5 psi and raised to 10 on day 2-3. Will leave as is for now.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 06:52:25 pm »

Points taken, thanks. Pitched a healthy SNS starter, activity in about 18 hours. Started fermentation @ 5 psi and raised to 10 on day 2-3. Will leave as is for now.
Good luck!
Keep us updated.
Also please post the yeast strain so others can be aware it may not work well under pressure.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:53:58 pm by lupulus »
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 07:14:03 pm »

Good luck!
Keep us updated.
Also please post the yeast strain so others can be aware it may not work well under pressure.

WLP570

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 09:04:02 am »

Right on! Pressure fermentation is the flavor du jour, but so many don't understand.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell